Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins acquires a property in Garstang with a five year lease dated 1 January 1920. Originally at 3 Market street, the address is subsequently renamed as 12 High Street. Despite its proximity to Preston,  Garstang Branch is part of the Bank’s Northern, not Manchester District. 

Sep 1.jpg

The town of Garstang lies south of Lancaster just off the A6, and the nearest Martins Branch is located at Lancaster University.   Garstang is famous for its mini-roundabouts, Lancashire cheese making, and in the 1960s for the Garstang Show - one of the many events attended each year by one of Martins Bank’s Mobile Branch caravans.

Sep 1.jpg

1966 Garstang Show Ken Weights.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

In the rare colour shot above, we see the Mobile Branch Staff, proudly holding the cup for best stand at the 1966 Garstang Show. 

Sep 1.jpg

In Service: ca 1 January 1920 until 29 October 2021

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 1044-0003

Sep 1.jpg

You can see a larger version of this image and read a little more about the staff in attendance on our MOBILE BRANCHES page. Our first Garstang feature takes us back to 1961 and the retirement of Mr C Haworth, who has been Manager at Garstang for twenty-one years.  Then se find out about the wedding of a member of staff to a star of international speedway!

Sep 1.jpg

1961 01 MBM.jpg1940 to 1961 Mr C Haworth Manager MBM-Wi61P53.jpgTo mark the occasion of his retirement after 43 years' service Mr. C. Haworth entertained his colleagues, past and present, to tea at Garstang Branch on the afternoon of August 29th. During the course of the proceedings Mr. Wood, second-in- command, wished him a happy retirement on behalf of the staff and then called upon Mr. N. N. Jobling, the District General Manager, to make the presenta­tion on behalf of the subscribers of a silver salver.

Sep 1.jpg

In conveying the good wishes and thanks of the General Management for his long and loyal service, Mr. Jobling referred to the way in which Mr. Haworth had built up the Branch over the past 25 years from a sub office to the full Branch it is to-day. It would, he said, always stand as a monument to his labours. A Ronson lighter was then presented to Mrs. Haworth by Miss A. Ryder and the party afterwards adjourned to the Hamilton Arms Hotel, where they were entertained by Mr. and Mrs. Haworth to an excellent buffet meal. Mr. Haworth entered the Bank in 1918 at Sedbergh, and subsequently served at Barrow, Morecambe, Grange and Lancaster before receiving his first appointment, as Pro Manager at Garstang, in 1937. He became Manager there in 1940.

Sep 1.jpg

A race down the aisle?

INTERNATIONAL speedway rider and Belle Vue team star Richard Metcalfe (Dick) Fisher wan married at Ellel Parish  Church, on Saturday when the bride was Miss Ada Jean Kitchen. Both reside In Galgate and the ceremony attracted a large crowd.  Dick, who is the only son of Mr. and Mrs R. G. Fisher, of 18 Main Road. Galgate is the well-known local garage proprietor, who followed in the footsteps of another famous Galgate speedway international star, Bill Kitchen, who is the uncle of the bride, who is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs J Kitchen, of "Mainstone House" Galgate. 

Sep 1.jpg

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. T W. Evans, and the fully choral service with Mr. J. Braithwaite organist, was attended by a large crowd. The bride, a member of the staff of Martins Bank. Garstang, is also a member of Ellel Young Conservatives.  Given away by her father, the bride was attired in a ballerina length gown of French silver lace over grosgraine, with a shoulder length embroidered veil surmounted by a head-dress of orange blossom, diamante and pearls. Her bouquet was of pink roses and lily of the valley.

The bridesmaids were Miss Elaine Kitchen and Miss Margaret Kitchen, sisters of the bride. They wore dresses of cyclamen witchcraft lace over white grosgrain, with matching head-dresses. Their bouquets were of white carnations. Mr Ron Johnston, of Dunedin. New Zealand, a member of the Belle Vue Speedway team, was best man. and Messrs. J. E. Pollock, brother-in-law of the bridegroom and Mr. C. J Kitchen, brother of the bride, were ushers.

Sep 1.jpg

Lancaster Guardian and Observer

09 November 1956

Image © Johnstone Press. Image created courtesy

of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD 

Image reproduced with kind permission

of The British Newspaper Archive

Mr A. Pye. brother-in-law of the bridegroom and Mr. W Kitchen, brother of the bride, were groomsmen. The bridegroom's presents to the bridesmaids were diamante necklaces.  As the couple left the church they were presented with horse-shoes by Catherine Knowles and Jane Hudson, cousins of the bride and by Adrian and Mary Pollock, nephew and niece of the bridegroom.  After a reception at the Institute. Galgate. the couple left for their honeymoon, touring in the south of England. The bride travelled in a cranberry tweed suit with black accessories. Among the many presents was an electric kettle from the manager and staff of Martins Bank Ltd., Garstang Branch.

Sep 1.jpg

1937 to 1949 Mr C H Exley MBM-Wi65P04.jpg

1940 to 1961 Mr C Haworth Manager MBM-Wi61P53.jpg

1945 to 1946 Mr F Bush joined the bank here MBM-Au68P14.jpg

1961 to 1968 Mr J C Watson Manager MBM-Wi68P08.jpg

1968 Mr F Wade Manager MBM-Wi68P09.jpg

Sep 1.jpgstill

 

 

 

 

 

Mr C H Exley

On the Staff

1937 to 1949

Mr C Haworth

Manager

1940 to 1961

Mr F Bush

Joined the Bank Here

1945 to 1946

Mr J C Watson

Manager

1961 to 1968

Mr Frank Wade

Manager

1968 onwards

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-94-30 Garstang

Full Branch

12 High Street Garstang Preston Lancashire

225 Northern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Garstang 2114

Nightsafe Installed

Mr F Wade Manager

 

Sep 1.jpg

Gargrave (Yorkshire)

1919

 

?

3 January 1928

1940

15 December 1969

29 October 2021

leased from 1 Jan 1920 by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

at 3 Market Street (and as a sub-branch to Lancaster)

Premises address renamed 12 High Street

Martins Bank Limited

Made a full Branch – Mr C Howarth appointed first Manager

Barclays Bank Limited 20-33-45 Garstang

Scheduled to closed permanently from 12 Noon

Gatley (Cheshire)

Sep 1.jpg

M

Sep 1.jpg