Sep 1.jpg

Adelphi Bank

Sep 1.jpg

The Adelphi Bank merges with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank in 1899.  Seven years before this, the original branch at Hyde is opened on the site of 38 Market Street.  There follows another sixty years of banking on the site, including the mergers that lead to the modern day Martins Bank.  By the early 1960s, with business at the branch increasing, the original branch building becomes unfit for purpose, and Martins decides on complete demolition and the building of larger “future-proof” premises.  The result is yet another dystopian statement of sixties optimism in concrete and glass… 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Branch images © Barclays Ref 0030/1399

Sep 1.jpg

 

1965 New Branch BGA 

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/1399

Sep 1.jpg

Despite the costs of a large expansion into the South and East of England in the 1960s, Martins does not completely neglect its base of Northern branches.  Many receive much needed makeovers, and other are rebuilt or relocated.  The rebuilt branch at 38 Market Street Hyde is typical of the clean lines and minimal fuss of Martins’ 60s rebuilds.  After a year or so in TEMPORARY PREMISES at 25 Market street it re-opens in 1965, and a year later a smaller but remarkably similar looking branch is completed at PETERBOROUGH.  The re-opening of a permanent branch at Hyde is heralded by local newspaper advertisements (see above, right), informing customers that whilst the new branch is now open for business, the temporary premises at 25 Market Street is now closed.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Chequebook chic…

Martins Bank cheques are printed in a variety of styles over the years.  From the Bank of Liverpool and Martins, with its Coat of Arms representing the City of Liverpool, to the marriage of the Grasshopper and the Liver Bird – the longest enduring symbol of Martins Bank’s history – the Bank’s cheques are a pictorial reminder of much progress and achievement. For Martins, this ends in the mid to late 1960s as the computerisation of the cheque system begins to take hold on all UK banks. This lovely example of a cheque from Hyde Branch dates from April 1945… (Image © Stephen Walker)

1945 April Hyde Cheque - S Walker MBA.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1930 to 1951 MR S B Hadfield first cashier and Manager from 1937 onwards MBM-Au51P22.jpg

1941 to 1946 Miss M E Goddard joined the bank here MBM-Su68P23.jpg

1942 to 1945 Mr E B Turner Pro Manager MBM-Au58P55.jpg

1950 to 1951 Mr D Massey joined the bank here MBM-Au68P52.jpg

1951 to 1953 Mr M Bent MBM-Wi64P09.jpg

1951 to 1957 Mr J F Robinson Manager MBM-Su67P59.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr S B Hadfield

First Cashier 1930 to 1937

Manager 1937 to 1951

Miss M E Goddard

Joined the Bank Here

1941 to 1946

Mr E B Turner

Pro Manager

1942 to 1945

Mr D Massey

Joined the Bank Here

1950 to 1951

Mr W M Bent

On the Staff

1951 to 1953

Mr J F Robinson

Manager

1951 to 1957

 

 

 

 

 

 

1957 to 1963 Mr A G Mitchell Manager MBM-Wi63P59.jpg

1963 to 1965 Mr D G Settle Pro Manager MBM-Wi63P07.jpg

1965 to 1966 Mr R Williamson pro Manager MBM-Sp65P05.jpg

1966 to 1968 Mr M P M Brown pro Manager MBM-Au66P05.jpg

1967 Mr K Whittle Manager MBM-Su67P02.jpg

1968 Mr FR Spedding pro Manager MBM-Wi68P07.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr A G Mitchell

Manager

1957 to 1963

Mr D Settle

Pro Manager

1963 to 1965

Mr R Williamosn

Pro Manager

1965 to 1966

Mr M P M Brown

Pro Manager

1966 to 1968

Mr K Whittle

Manager

1967 onwards

Mr F R Spedding

Pro Manager

1968

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index No and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-91-40 Hyde

Main Branch

38 Market Street Hyde

750 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

061 368 1494/5

Nightsafe Installed

Mr K Whittle Manager

1892

10 June 1899

3 January 1928

1964

1965

15 December 1969

opened by the Adelphi Bank

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Demolished and rebuilt

Re-opened

Barclays Bank Limited 20-43-76  Hyde Cheshire 38 Market Street

Currently

image037

Gutinfo.jpg