Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Our main photograph is Martins Bank’s Branch at Port Erin after being rebuilt in 1962, below you can see the Branch as it was in the days of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank.  The six branches of the Manx Bank are subsumed by the Mercantile Bank, and find their way through subsequent mergers into the portfolio of Martins Bank. 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030-2320

Sep 1.jpg

Opened originally in 1882, Port Erin Branch is situated on the South-East coast of the Island.   The spread of the Isle of Man Branches is such that wherever you are on the Island, you are never too far away from one.  Opening hours here, and in the Channel Islands, are broadly the same as for the mainland branches, with the exception of a slightly shortened Saturday service.  Staff members also enjoy the low income tax rates and other benefits of living effectively “abroad”, on the Isle of Man. In 1950, Martins Bank Magazine pays a short visit to Port Erin, and also makes time to take in some of the spectacular sights in that part of Man…

Sep 1.jpg

1950 03 MBM.jpgWe paid our official visit to Port Erin branch, and as  Mr. Rushby had very kindly invited us to his home  on  the following day we did not stay long enough to hinder the work on the Saturday, the principal object of our visit being to meet G. R. Clucas, the other half of the staff.  Mr. Clucas entered the service in 1943 at Douglas, going to the mainland in 1947 for a spell at London Foreign branch. 

Sep 1.jpg

Two years later he went to Speke, returning to the Island this year.   He has finished his Institute of Bankers' exams and is now part way through those of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries. He was on holiday when our photographer called.  We received a very friendly welcome from Mr. and Mrs. Rushby and their daughter Heather and were on common ground immediately for both Mr. Rushby and his wife are keen gardeners and their garden is a picture.  

Sep 1.jpg

In the afternoon we defied the pour­ing rain and went to see the Calf of Man and afterwards walked over to the Chasms; a thoroughly enjoyable experience in spite of deplorable weather conditions: though it must be placed on record that Sunday was our only really wet day. Mr. Rushby and his wife are Londoners but Mr. Rushby came to the Island with his parents and entered the service of the L. and Y. Bank in 1916. He had a long spell at Douglas and was appointed Clerk-in-Charge at Port Erin in 1932. In the picture is Mr E Rushby (right) with Mr J E Crowe, M.C., who was on relief on the day our photographer called.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030-2320

1950 s Port Erin IOM Cheque - S Walker MBA.jpg

Image © Stephen Walker

Sep 1.jpg

1960 – The plans are drawn for a new look branch for the 1960s, but Port Erin’s stationery has yet to be brought into the computer age.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1933 to 1960 Mr E Rushby Clerk in Charge CU MBM-AU50P52

1939 to 1947 Mr W E Turnbull  MBM-Au59P07

1968 Mr JS Quirk Clerk in Charge MBM-Su68P22

1960 to 1968 Mr A C Christian Clerk in Charge MBM-Su68P52

1950 Mr J E Crowe MC Relief Staff MBM-Wi63P05

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

1933 to 1960

Mr E Rushby

Clerk in Charge

Mr W E Turnbull

Joined the Bank Here

1937 to 1938

Mr J E Crowe MC

Relief Staff

1950

Mr A C Christian

Clerk in Charge

1960 to 1968

Mr J S Quirk

Clerk in Charge

1968 onwards

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

ISLE OF MAN BANK

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-85-60 Port Erin

Self Accounting Sub to 11-38-30 Douglas

PO Box 1 Station Road Port Erin Isle Of Man

89 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500 

Saturday 0930-1100

Port Erin 2245

Nightsafe Installed

J S Quirk Clerk in Charge

 

1882

12 December 1900

1 July 1904

3 January 1928

Ca.1960

Ca.1962

15 December 1969

February 1989

opened by the Manx Bank

Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Moved to Temporary Premises in Church Road

Branch rebuilt and reopened

Barclays Bank Limited 20-68-88 Port Erin

Closed and moved to 19 Station Road

Gutinfo.jpg