Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

When the North Eastern Banking Company amalgamates with the Bank of Liverpool in 1914, they have just undergone a period of prolific growth.  Having already subsumed other banks in the North East, NEBC provides the Bank of Liverpool with a comprehensive portfolio of branches, from the Yorkshire Coast up to the wilds of Northumberland.   This will provide basis of the almost universal coverage by Martins Bank in the North East of England, which will also become the Bank’s largest district.  Opened in september 1898, the Branch at Ferryhill County Durham is a no frills building, built to last, and still serving Barclays’ customers today.  At the time of the 1969 merger, Ferryhill has two sub branches, at FERRYHILL STATION  and  CHILTON .   For our feature, we look at the retirement celebration for Mr H S Gatty who has been Manager at Ferryhill from 1947 to 1963.  By strange coincidence the new Manager, Mr Hamilton also has the initials H.S…

Sep 1.jpg

 

1963 02 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

At the end of April Mr. H. S. Gatty retired after 45 years' service. The last 15 years had been spent as Manager at Ferryhill where he was popular with both staff and customers.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/0993

Sep 1.jpg

 

1947 to 1963 Mr H S Gatty Manager MBM-Su63P59.jpgMr. Gatty was entertained to lunch by Mr. W. Weatherill (North Eastern District General Manager) at Grey Street on April 22nd and Mr. H. Ryder (Assistant District Manager) visited the branch on April 30th to add the best wishes of the District Manage­ment to the many other expressions of good will received by Mr. Gatty during the day.  At his own request there was no ceremony but his staff felt that the occasion could not go unmarked. After the close of business, a presentation of a nest of tables was made to Mr. Gatty by Mr. D. W. Owens, the second in-command, on behalf of staff and colleagues. Mr. Owens, in a short speech, referred to Mr. Gatty's travels during his 45 years' service which took in Seahouses, Berwick, Westgate, Gallowgate, London and Middlesbrough. After six years' service in the R.A.F., Mr. Gatty returned to Middlesbrough where he served until his appoint­ment to Ferryhill in 1947.  Mr. M. A. Charlton (Pro Staff Mana­ger) who was present at the cere­mony, expressed the good wishes of District Office. In the evening, Mr. Gatty entertained past and present staff to dinner at the Eden Arms, Rushyford, where Mrs. Gatty was presented with a bouquet by Miss Joan Boyes. During the course of a most enjoyable evening the new Manager, Mr. H. S. Hamilton, paid tribute to Mr. Gatty and extended to him and his wife the good wishes of all those present.

Sep 1.jpg

1956 Ferryhill Interior 1 BGA Ref 30-993.jpg

1956 Ferryhill Interior 2 BGA Ref 30-993.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 0030/0993

Sep 1.jpg

Then and Now.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Not so “NOW” as usual, this image of the Branch from the 1970s shows an expanded premises and forty or more extra years of business under Barclays, but time and the internet have both eventually caught up with Ferryhill. It looks like Barclays purchased the property to the LEFT of the original Martins Branch, before combining both premises into one long shop front…

Sep 1.jpg

1970 s Ferryhill exterior CU as Barclays - BGA Ref 30-0993

Images © Barclays Ref 0030/0993

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

1943 to 1944 Mr S Bainbridge MBM-Sp65P05.jpg

1947 to 1951 Mr W Hunter MBM-Sp65P08.jpg

1947 to 1963 Mr H S Gatty Manager MBM-Su63P59.jpg

1963 onwards Mr H S Hamilton Manager MBM-Su69P56

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr S Bainbridge

On the Staff

1943 to 1944

Mr W Hunter

On the Staff

1947 to 1951

Mr H S Gatty

Manager

1947 to 1963

Mr H S Hamilton

Manager

1963 onwards

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

Darlington Road

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK

Market Street

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-85-30 Ferryhill 

Full Branch

3/4 Darlington Road Ferryhill County Durham

375 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Ferryhill 270

Nightsafe Installed

Mr H S Hamilton Manager

 

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-85-30 FERRYHILL STATION

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-85-30 CHILTON

 

 

16 September 1898

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January1928

15 December 1969

26 February 2016

The North Eastern Banking Company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-31-66 Ferryhill

Closed permanently at 12 Noon

Gutinfo.jpgz