Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

 

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Martins Bank Limited Annual Report and Accounts for 1938 – © Barclays

1938 COA.jpgThe announcement that TWO new branches of Martins Bank are to be established - one at Torquay and one at Plymouth is given coverage in the Western Morning News of 8 September 1938. Four months earlier, the Bank has opened a temporary branch in Torquay at No 5 Vaughan Parade.  Permanent premises have also been found in fleet Street, but it will be October before they are ready for permanent occupation by Martins – this is several months later than the planned opening in June.  Even in 1938, the practice of opening up a business in a shop front whilst having a permanent branch designed and built to order is a common one for Martins Bank, and this is the way that “the West is won” as Martins’ expansion into the South and West of England progresses.  Having the local newspapers on your side is also good for business, and is in fact a power that should never be underestimated: in the case of Bristol Branch, opened in 1937, “great excitement amongst local businessmen” is reported, as Martins is “the first of the major banks to establish a branch in the City for many years”.  Free publicity is great, but failing that, sharing the advertising costs with the contractors who carry out the building work is another good option which is used by the Bank on a number of occasions. Having occupied 5 Vaughan parade for just over five months, Martins Bank moves into the completed premises at Fleet Street – this will be the Bank’s only branch in the town until 1967 when a sub-Branch is opened at Wellswood.

 

Image: Western Morning News 8 Sep 1938

Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD

Image reproduced with kind permission of The British Newspaper Archive

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1938 to 1964 Mr A L Nelson Manager from 1947 MBM-Wi64P57

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr A L Nelson

Manager

1938

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index No and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-812 Torquay

Temporary Full Branch

5 Vaughan Parade Torquay Devon

151 South Western

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1200

Torquay  25512

Counter Only

Mr A N Nelson

16 May 1938

October 1938

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Moved to 59 Fleet Street

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg