Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank Branches in sussex

Sep 1.jpg

 

image020Martins Bank’s Branch at Hove really does look as if it would be at home somewhere in the Mediterranean, elegant and impressive – you might even give a slight swagger as you walk up to the door with your cheque book.  At this stage, the Bank is still  very keen to employ the architectural device of the  “Corner Branch”, but in the case of Hove, the door itself is not set into the corner, and is situated on the Church Road aspect of the building.  Hove Branch survives the merger but by just two years.

Sep 1.jpg

 

For such a lovely bank building to have a short life under Barclays is very sad, but as we shall see below, with a Branch of Barclays just over the road, something has to give, and practicality must prevail.

Sep 1.jpg

 

We have a very short piece from Martins Bank Magazine announcing Mr Lucock as the new Branch Manager in 1947, but for our main Hove Branch Feature we tuen once more to former Martins colleague Alan Hill who provides some facts and figures regarding Hove and other local Branches of Martins Bank, in his pamphlet written in 1984 entitled MARTINS BANK BRANCHES IN SUSSEX.

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 0030/1366

 

“Hove Branch was opened 10 May 1937 as a sub to Brighton with Mr K Bainbridge as Clerk in Charge, the office being upgraded to full branch status in 1938. The office was situated at the corner of The Drive and Church Road in the middle of a high class residential area, and developed as a collector of creditor balances giving a very personal service.  The business developed slowly over the years being handicapped by the residential nature of its location.  Hove Corporation tended to resist the residential and commercial development of the Church Road area and it was not until the mid sixties that there was considerable re-development in The Drive and Grand Avenue locality with blocks of high class flats being built in the area. During the post war period the Branch was first managed by A L Lucock, who was resident for 19 years and retired in March 1966.  He was followed by J Baughen, who remained there until closure.  Hove was under the control of Barclays 92 Church Road, from 15 December 1969 until closure on 15 December 1972.  Shortly after the closure of the Branch, the premises were brought temporarily back into use as a satellite machine room for Barclays 92 Church Road whilst that office was being extended. Upon completion of the Barclays alterations, the Martins premises were sold to Panorama Travel Services” .

Image taken from Martins Bank Annual Report and Accounts for 1937 – © Barclays

1947 to 1966 Mr A L Lucock Manager MBM-Su66P60.jpgSep 1.jpg

1947 02 MBM.jpgMr A L Lucock is the new Manager of our Hove Branch. He entered the service at Kingsway Branch. After service at Chislehurst, London Office, and with the London Inspection Staff, he was transferred in 1939 to Brighton with signing authority.  From 1942 to 1946 he served with H M Forces, and became pro Manager at Brighton in 1946. His present appointment dates from 01 April 1947.

Sep 1.jpg

No Image

1944 to 1947  Mr C H Thomlinson Manager MBM-Su47P29.jpg

1947 to 1966 Mr A L Lucock Manager MBM-Su66P60.jpg

1950 to 1961 Mr D H Cooper MBM-Sp66P07.jpg

1966 Mr JL Baughen Manager MBM-Su66P06.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr K L Bainbridge

Clerk in Charge 1937-38

Manager 1938 - 44

Mr C H Thomlinson

Manager

1944 to 1947

Mr A L Lucock

Manager

1947 to 1966

Mr D H Cooper

On the Staff

1950 to 1961

Miss R A S O’Mahoney

Joined the Bank Here

1955

Mr J L Baughen

Manager

1966 to 1972

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-81-40 Hove                                              

Full Branch

89a Church Road Hove BN3 2BG Sussex

438 London

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Hove 733115

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J L Baughen Manager

 

10 May 1937

15 December 1969

15 December 1972

Currently

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-42-82 Hove 89a Church Road

Closed

Italian Style Coffee Bar

Gutinfo.jpg