Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

image082Originally opened by the Halifax Commercial Bank in 1919 at 60 Otley Road, Martins Bank’s Branch at Shipley is moved in the late 1960s to 67 Otley Road.  Whilst there are no exterior images of the new Branch, we can bring you these interiors which show a modern office with bandit screens.  Unusually for a Northern Branch, there is a large model of the Grasshopper in the window instead of the more usual Liver Bird and Grasshopper signage.  After the merger, Barclays chooses to use its own Branch at 35 Otley Road, and the Martins Branch is closed.

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Shipley Interior 3 BGA Ref Acc 03-4477

Branch Images © Barclays Ref ACC03/4477

Sep 1.jpg

The photograph below (right) zooms in a little on our main view (above) and reveals that someone is not keeping an keen eye on the opposition – Martins’ Grasshopper stands firm, but with its back to the Yorkshire Bank!

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Shipley Interior 2 BGA Ref Acc 03-4477

 

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1919 to 1926 Mr C J Verity Manager MBM-Au46P04.jpg

1954 to 1964 Mr J Holgate Manager MBM-Su64P60.jpg

1964 Mr WK Watson Manager MBM-Su64P07.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr C J Verity

Manager

1919 to 1926

Mr Jack Holgate

Manager

1954 to 1964

Mr W K Watson

Manager

1964 onwards

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-75-70 Shipley

Full Branch

67 Otley Road Shipley Yorkshire

629 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Shipley 53948

Nightsafe Installed

Mr W K Watson Manager

1968

1969

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and business transferred to Barclays 35 Otley Road

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg