Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Worcester High Street Exterior 6 CU BGA Ref 30-3289.jpg

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 30-3289

Sep 1.jpg

Between 1935 (Southampton) and 1939 (Reading) Martins Bank opens some thirty-six branches in the Midlands and South of England.  Worcester Branch opens in 1937 in the former David Greig Department Store at 54 High Street.  A very short-lived sub branch is opened in 1967 at WORCESTER ST JOHN'S, and this, along with the main worcester Branch are closed on 12 December 1969.  The business of both branches is transferred to Barclays’ Worcester Cathedral Branch. Martins’ 1949 advertising campaign – Roman Towns – features illustrations relating to twelve English towns and cities in roman times, and along with the Roman name for each town, each advertisement also includes information about the Bank and the local Branch.  WIGERAN CEASTER, No 11 in a series of 12 is published in newspapers and magazines at the end of 1949, and is re-created below…

Sep 1.jpg

1949 Camboritum (Cambridge) Trinity Bridge MBM-Su49P29.jpg

WIGERAN CEASTER

 

 

Although traces of Roman occupation have been found, the history of Worcester really begins with the foundation of the Episcopal See in 679.  Some of the bases of the pillars in the Abbot’s Cloister of the Cathedral contain Roman tiles.

 

Martins Bank has a Branch at 54 High Street, one of nearly 600 Branches throughout England and Wales.  Consult your local Manager, who will be glad to place his services at your disposal.

Sep 1.jpg

Letter Head Logo (Actual).jpg

 

MARTINS BANK

LIMITED

London District Office: 68 Lombard Street E C 3

HEAD OFFICE: WATER STREET, LIVERPOOL 2

Total Assets (as at 30th June 1949)  £314,557,353

Sep 1.jpg

In 1952 Worcester receives a visit from the team at Martins Bank Magazine.  In a write-up that is shorter than many, we are informed as usual about the background of the staff of the branch, and given a brief insight into the Worcester of 1952…

Sep 1.jpg

1952 04 MBM.jpgWe paid our first visit to Worcester on the afternoon of the fifth of September What a busy town Worcester is and what crowds seem to throng its narrow congested streets! It seemed to us to be an exceptionally noisy town, too, and throughout the night the roar of heavy lorry traffic along the main streets drives sleep from the heads of visitors unlucky enough to have the front bedrooms of their hotels.

 

1952 Worcester Staff MBM-Wi52P16.jpgYet five minutes' walk away one can stroll almost in solitude along the banks of the Severn and under the walls of the gracious cathedral which is the chief glory of Worcester.  On the far bank is the Worcester Cricket Ground, the fine turf of which is attributed to the annual floodings to which it is subjected by the river. The extent of these floods is marked by inscriptions cut into the stone of the entrance gateway to the cathedral grounds from the river front and they are all many feet above the normal level. Here too are the famous Worcester Porcelain Works which visitors are permitted to view.

 

1960 s Worcester High Street Exterior 5 BGA Ref 30-3289This extremely busy town is, of course, in the heart of one of the most naturally beautiful parts of the English countryside and in the spring the plum blossom rivals the orchards of Kent. We learned for the first time that the hop industry is of some magnitude in Worcestershire: most of us associate it solely with Kent. And, of course, the setting is very pleasant, and for those who like living in the country the choice might well lie here. Mr. Caughey and his wife we have known for a long time. Mrs. Caughey was in the Bank at one time and as Norah Boston, served at various branches in the Liverpool district. Mr. Caughey entered the service in 1922 and served at Waterloo, Water Street, Mossley Hill, Smithdown and Tue Brook before being charged with the opening of our branch at Childwall Five Ways. During the last war he organised all the staff savings throughout the Bank and was seconded to the National Savings Movement for six weeks of every year during the war. In Liverpool he was in charge of seventy selling centres during every one of the big campaigns. He was appointed Mana­ger at Worcester in 1946. Mr. H. E. Williams, Pro Manager, was on holiday at the time of our visit and we were sorry not to meet once again this old friend. Mr. J. R. D. Chapman, the principal cashier, is a North-Easterner who came South in 1942.

Sep 1.jpg

Change of use?

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Worcester High Street Exterior Balcony David Greig 1931 BGA Ref 30-3289.jpg

1960 s Worcester High Street Exterior Balcony Close up MB Sign BGA Ref 30-3289.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 30-3289

Sep 1.jpg

A keen eye on Worcester High Street ranch reveals that the name above the balcony once read “David Greig 1931”.  As we don’t have the exact dates for these two images, it’s not clear when Martins Bank decided to stamp its own identity over the top!

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1939 to 1941 Mr JE Anderson MBM-Sp65P08.jpg

1942 to 1955 Mr J R D Chapman MBM-Au68P58.jpg

1946 to 1965 Mr D B Caughey Manager MBM-Wi65P50.jpg

1965 Mr WJ Hutton Manager MBM-Wi65P02.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J E Anderson

On the Staff

1939 to 1941

Mr J R D Chapman

On the Staff

1942 to 1955

Mr D B Caughey

Manager

1946 to 1965

Mr W J Hutton

Manager

1965 onwards

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-69-90 Worcester                                                   

Full Branch

54 High Street Worcester Worcestershire

591 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Worcester 28321/2

Nightsafe Installed

Mr W J Hutton Manager

Sub Branches

Title:

Type:

Address:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-69-90 WORCESTER ST JOHN'S

Sub to 11-69-90 Worcester

6 Bromyard Road St John's Worcester Worcestershire

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Worcester 28939

Night Safe

W J Hutton Manager (Worcester)

30 March 1937

12 December 1969

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and Business tranferred to

Barclays Worcester Cathedral Branch, 5 College Street

Gutinfo.jpg

<,