Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens a sub-Branch to Padiham – in the nearby village of Read – in 1926.  A Banking service is offered here within the premises of the Simonstone Constitutional Club, for a total of thirteen years. According to local directory information, from the time, the branch is closed during the week, and opens for just two hours each Saturday.

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Extracts from the Annual Report of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins 1926 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

PadihamA combination of factors, from economic conditions to a shortage of trained staff  means that a large number of smaller rural sub offices and “front room” branches become casualties of war in their own right: Whilst it is intended to close them for the duration of World War II, many branches are not re-opened afterwards.   Sadly the sub-Branch at Read joins this number, closing its doors for the final time in 1939.

Sep 1.jpg

sp6Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-667 Read

Sub to 11-667 Padiham

Whalley Road Read Padiham Lancashire

112 Craven

Mon to Fri Closed

Saturday 0900-1100

Padiham 36

Counter Service Only

Frank Ernest Thornton Manager (Padiham 1926)

1926

3 January 1928

1939

opened by Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg