Sep 1.jpg

North Eastern Banking Company

Sep 1.jpg

The Sedgefield Constituency…

 

Sedgefield Branch is opened in 1895 by the North Eastern Banking Company, whose portfolio grows rapidly through the twenty year period to 1914 when it amalgamates with the Bank of Liverpool.  We couldn’t resist this long shot image of our branch, which gives it a rather grand appearance, but later on we will look at the building in close-up.Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Sedgefield Exterior 2 BGA Ref 30-2579

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2759

Sep 1.jpg

Sedgefield has two sub branches – one at Fishburn, the other at Trimdon Grange.  The second, linked with name of Sedgefield itself will probably be in many people’s memories as the political training ground of a certain former Member of Parliament turned world famous ex-prime minister.  We hope therefore that this page of mass-information is capable both of launching and maintaining your interest for longer than 45 seconds.  It is very difficult to resist puns on this subject, and we have toyed with others such as “tough on debt, tough on the causes of debt” and “amortisation, amortisation, amortisation”.  Still, enough of poor humour, and let’s hope instead that things can only get better as we journey back to 1954 to celebrate the retirement of Sedgefield Manager, Mr Chapman…

Sep 1.jpg

1954 01 MBM.jpg1954 Mr J W Chapman Manager MBM-Sp54P52.jpgMr. J. W. Chapman, who retired at the end of December, 1953, began his career with the North Eastern Banking Co. Ltd., in Sunderland, in 1908. In the following year he went to King Street, South Shields. He joined the colours in 1914, and during the First World War served with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, holding a commission in the famous Quayside Company.  At the end of the war he returned to the Bank at King Street, and was transferred in the same year to Quayside and in 1922 to Laygate.  His first managerial appointment was at Shotley Bridge in 1924, and he returned to Sunderland to manage Chester Road branch in 1928. His appoint­ment to the managership at Sedgefield came in 1932. A pleasing ceremony took place at Sedgefield branch on January 6th, when a represen­tative gathering of past and present members of the staff and colleagues in the district met to wish Mr. Chapman a long and happy retirement. Mrs. Chapman was also present.Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

On behalf of the company, Mr. F. Robinson, Manager at Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough, presented Mr. Chapman with a fishing rod and Mrs. Chapman with a coffee table. In thanking the company for these gifts, Mr. Chapman also expressed his appreciation of the cooperation of his staff during his period of managership, making particular reference in this instance to Mr. J. Patten. Mrs. Chapman also expressed her thanks. Later, the company adjourned to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Chapman, where they were entertained to supper.

Sep 1.jpg

 

With no official visits to the branch by Martins Bank Magazine, we are, thankfully, left with a number of images of Sedgefield Branch in the Barclays Collection.  Sedgefield is still open today, and we are pleased that the internal images below show something of the branch before the new ideas of the mid 1960s that changed the look of so many of Martins Bank’s branches. 

1960 s Sedgefield Interior 3 BGA Ref 30-2579

Image © Barclays Ref 0030-2759

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Sedgefield Interior 4 BGA Ref 30-2579

1960 s Sedgefield Interior 5 BGA Ref 30-2579

Image © Barclays Ref 0030-2759

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Sedgefield Interior 6 BGA Ref 30-2579

1960 s Sedgefield Exterior 1 CU BGA Ref 30-2579

Image © Barclays Ref 0030-2759

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1924 Mr G W Gibson joined the bank here MBM-Sp69P56.jpg

1928 to 1934 Mr A D Scotson joined the bank here MBM-Su64P07.jpg

1932 to 1954 Mr J W Chapman Manager MBM-Sp54P52.jpg

1940 to 1941 Mr M A Charlton MBM-Au68P15.jpg

1946 to 1948 later 1969 Mr M W Jaques Manager MBM-Sp69P10.jpg

1953 to 1956 Mr T E Smith joined the bank here MBM-Au64P04.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr G W Gibson

Joined the Bank Here

1924

Mr A D Scotson

Joined the Bank Here

1928 to 1934

Mr J W Chapman

Manager

1932 to 1954

Mr M A Charlton

On the Staff

1940 to 1941

Mr J W Jaques

1946 to 1949 and

1969 as Manager

Mr T E Smith

Joined the Bank Here

1953 to 1956

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1954 to 1962 Mr H Dixon Manager MBM-Sp66P04.jpg

1962 to 1969 Mr D W Air Manager MBM-Sp69P09.jpg

1964 to 1965 Mr R B Dixon MBM-Su65P06.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr H Dixon

Manager

1954 to 1962

Mr D W Air

Manager

1962 to 1969

Mr R B Dixon

On the Staff

1964 to 1965

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-62-70 Sedgefield

Full Branch

1 Church View Sedgefield Stockton on Tees County Durham

355 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Sedgefield 213

Nightsafe Installed

Mr M W Jaques Manager

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-62-70 FISHBURN

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-62-70 TRIMDON GRANGE

1895

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

Currently

Opened by the North Eastern Banking Company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-76-29 Sedgefield

image037

Gutinfo.jpg