Sep 1.jpg

Craven Bank

Barrowford is one of the original sub branches of the Craven Bank, and comes to Martins with the 1906 amalgamation of the Bank of Liverpool and the Craven Bank Limited. Whilst there is a sub branch at Barrowford continually between 1889 and 1992 it occupies a total of THREE different addresses in the village over that time. Starting life at 4 King Edward Terrace, it moves to 2 Holmfield View, and in August 1951 it moves once more to 5 Gladstone Terrace.

Barrowford is a large village, and Martins operates its business there as a sub-Branch to Nelson. It looks as though local business was substantial and steady, as Barrowford opens for sixteen hours spread over the full six-day banking week. This provides a convenient service for personal customers and allows local businesses to pay in takings, and collect cash supplies for their tills.

Sep 1.jpg

When the move is made from Holmfield View to Gladstone terrace over the weekend of 18-19 August 1951, an advertisement is taken out in the local press to advise customers this again signifies the importance attached to the business of this busy little office.

Image Martins Bank Archive Collection

Restored and remastered June 2020Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-27-60 Barrowford

Sub to 11-27-60 Nelson

2 Holmfield View Gisburn Road Barrowford Nelson Lancashire

110 Craven

Mon to Fri 1000-1300

Saturday 1000-1100

Nelson 64278/9

Counter Service Only

Mr J N Slater Manager (Nelson)

Sep 1.jpg

1889

?

23 March 1906

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

18 August 1951

Opened by the Craven Bank at 4 King Edward Terrace

Moved to 2 Holmfield View

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Bank Limited

Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to 5 Gladstone Terrace Gisburn Road

Gutinfo.jpgW