Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

“Martins Branch”…Sep 1.jpg

East Boldon Branch is opened in 1922 by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited, and makes it all the way to April 2000.  Following the 1969 merger of Martins and Barclays, this is one of the first Barclays cheques to feature the “Martins Branch” logo which to everyone who sees it is supposed to serve as a reminder of Martins Bank until Barclays stationery is redesigned in the early 1980s.  Note also the absence at this time of Barclays’ own logo, as part of the gradual transition which takes place partly to placate customers in some parts of the country who are not at all happy with the demise of Martins Bank.

Sep 1.jpg

Our East Boldon cheque is from the early days of the merger, as it still bears the stamp duty paid symbol.  Stamp duty on cheques is abolished in February 1971 just two week before the UK’s currency goes decimal.  Up to that time customer had been expected to tax of two pence for every cheque they wrote!

Sep 1.jpg

For our feature, we eavesdrop on the retirement celebrations for Mr G A Welsh, who has spent the last nine of his forty-three years with the Bank at East Boldon Branch…

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Martins Bank Archive

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s East Boldon Exterior BGA CU Ref 30-880

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/0880

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

1965 03 MBM.jpg1956 to 1965 Mr G A Welsh Manager MBM-Au65P55.jpgAs mr welsh had already been retired 48 hours when, with his wife, he entertained 35 colleagues to a buffet at the Grey Horse Hotel, East Boldon, he was able to say he felt sure he was going to enjoy the years ahead. Retiring after nine years as Manager at East Boldon Mr Welsh was presented with a cheque, to be used to buy fishing tackle, by Mr R. G. Lamb who wished him well on behalf of subscribers.  Mrs Welsh was handed a bouquet by Miss Davison. Among the guests were Mr K. O. Wells (Superintendent of Branches), Mr M. A. Charlton (Pro Staff Manager) and Mr Stanley Shaw, the previous manager at East Boldon. Mr Welsh had earlier lunched at Head Office and at Grey Street and Mr Weatherill called at the branch on June 30 to say goodbye. After joining the Bank at Bedlington in 1923 Mr Welsh served at several North Eastern branches before his call-up in 1942. He returned to Morpeth in 1946, was appointed Pro Manager at Hexham in 1954 and Manager at East Boldon in 1956.

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1922 to 1933 Mr J P Cotton Manager MBM-Wi50P22.jpg

1933 to 1956 Mr S Shaw Manager MBM-Au56P50.jpg

1935 to 1935 Mr H W Warwick joined the bank here MBM-Wi64P06.jpg

1942 Mr G D Richardson joined the bank here MBM-Su61P48.jpg

1956 to 1965 Mr G A Welsh Manager MBM-Au65P55.jpg

1965 to 1967 Mr RG Lamb Manager MBM-Au65P03.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J P Cotton

Manager

1922 to 1933

Mr S Shaw

Manager

1933 to 1956

Mr H W Warwick

Joined the Bank Here

1935 to 1935

Mr G D Richardson

Joined the Bank Here

1942 to 1942

Mr G A Welsh

Manager

1956 to 1965

Mr R G Lamb

Manager

1965 to 1967

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1967 Mr J Stephenson Manager MBM-Au67P04.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J Stephenson

Manager

1967 onwards

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-56-30 East Boldon

Full Branch

1 Station Terrace East Boldon County Durham

383 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Boldon 7342

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J Stephenson Manager

 

13 December 1922

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

Friday 7 Apr 2000

Currently

opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-27-75 East Boldon

Closed

Estate Agency

Gutinfo.jpg