Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

image008Martins Bank opens its Litherland Branch in this unusual looking building in 1931, serving customers from the start of the Liverpool Dock Road which stretches for a good mile or two before eventually reaching the Pier Head, not too far from Head office. Although not officially listed as a sub-Branch, Litherland is shown in the Branch Directory of the time as sharing the same Manager as Bootle Linacre Branch, just a couple of miles away. From the few staff details we have, it does appear that a full Manager is not appointed to Litherland until 1947, and that therefore it was perhaps until that point, a self-accounting sub-Branch run by a Clerk in Charge. By 1969 the Litherland Premises are no longer fit for purpose and are demolished to make way for a new building.  So that business can continue in the area, especially with the imminent merger with Barclays, a temporary branch is established nearby in Sefton Street.  This is the first outing for Martins new prefabricated temporary branch, which you can see, inside and out, on our LITHERLAND SEFTON STREET page. By the time the new Branch is complete, it is already under the ownership of Barclays.

Sep 1.jpg

1969 Litherland exterior 2 BGA Ref 30-1648

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/1648

Sep 1.jpg

Extracts from Martins Bank Limited Report and Accounts for 1931 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

Further down this page you can see just what replaced this original Branch Building, shortly after it was opened in 1970/1 under Barclays.  For our feature, we journey back a few years to 1958, when Martins Bank Magazine marks the retirement, due to ill-health of Manager Mr Eric Riddiough, who has been at the helm at Litherland for more than ten years…

Sep 1.jpg

A much needed rest…

Sep 1.jpg

1958 02 MBM.jpg1947 to 1958 Mr E Riddiough Manager MBM-Su58P57.jpgAt the end of March Mr. Eric Riddiough was compelled to lay down his burden owing to continued ill-health, and he had not been able to carry out his duties for some months before his decision to retire. In these circumstances no formal presenta­tion ceremony took place, but his friends, unwilling to let him go without some mark of their esteem, got together and raised a fund for a gift which was subsequently taken round to his home and presented privately. He intends to apply the cheque towards the cost of a greenhouse. He entered the Bank at Skipton in 1916, and served in the Forces from 1918-19, afterwards rejoining the Bank at Clitheroe. He was moved to 211, Stanley Road, Bootle, in 1936 and was appointed Clerk-in-Charge at Litherland in 1941, becoming Manager in 1947. We send him our best wishes for a speedy return to health and for many happy years of retirement.

Sep 1.jpg

Banking into the 1970s…

Sep 1.jpg

1969 Litherland exterior 2 BGA Ref 30-1648

Sep 1.jpg

sp1Images © Barclays Ref 0030/1648

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

On the outside, the trees barely make up for the shock of the new, and on the inside the clever use of lighting and open office space marks a major improvement on the previous building, but it lacks soul and with the now necessary bandit screens, the first stage of impersonal banking has arrived…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1935 to 1941 Mr R C Telford Pro Manager CU MBM-Su58P55.jpg

1947 to 1948  Mr K Whalley MBM-Wi55P09.jpg

1947 to 1958 Mr E Riddiough Manager CU MBM-Su58P57.jpg

1960 to 1965 Mr T T Williams Limited Auth MBM-Sp65P05.jpg

1965 Mr JE Lea pro Manager MBM-Sp65P08.jpg

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R C Telford

Pro Manager

1935 to 1941

Mr K Whaley

On the Staff

1947 to 1948

Mr E Riddiough

Manager

1947 to 1958

Mr T T Williams

Limited Authority

1960 to 1965

Mr J E Lea

Pro Manager

1965

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-50-50 Litherland

Full Branch

71 Church Road Litherland Liverpool 21

82 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

051 428 1183

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J H Gummerson Manager

7 December 1931

Summer 1969

 

15 December 1969

1970/1

17 October 1997

Currently

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Demolished for rebuilding and business conducted from

temporary premises at Sefton Street

Barclays Bank Limited 20-50-42 Litherland

Re-opened at 71 Church Road

Closed

Logistics Company

Gutinfo.jpg


411