Sep 1.jpg

North Eastern Banking Company

Sep 1.jpg

The North Eastern Banking Company opens a branch at 200 Linthorpe Road Middlesbrough in 1904, just ten years before merging with the Bank of Liverpool. Middlesbrough is home to a network of Martins Bank outlets, with a total of eight branches and sub branches spread throughout the area.  This includes the main branch at Albert Road, and the pioneering employees only sub branch at the I C I WILTON WORKS.

Sep 1.jpg

1964 Middlesborough Linthorpe Road Exterior BGA Ref 30-1892

Sep 1.jpg1964 Middlesborough Linthorpe Road Exterior BGA Ref 30-1892

Image © 1964 Barclays Ref 0030/1892

Sep 1.jpg

Of these, sadly NONE are still open today, and Barclays’ own branch furth down Linthorpe road is also closed in favour of premises at The Mall, closer to the footfall of twenty-first Century shops and businesses.  Today, many banks are closing their older established branches and moving into shop fronts to catch up with the changes in town centres, many of which are nowadays shadows of their former selves… What goes around, comes around, and the use of shop fronts is something that is actually pioneered in the 1960s by all the banks, especially Martins, when it pushes hard to establish as many new branches as possible in the South of England. For our Feature, we journey back to happier and more settle times in the world of banking, and the retirement in 1947 of Mr H R Barker.  Regular visitors to our Archive will know that Martins Bank’s Managers often clock up amazingly long service records, and Mr Barker is no exception, having worked for forty-four years, nearly thirty of them as Manager of Linthorpe Road. 

The British tradition of giving a gold watch for long service takes what is, for 1947, an unusual and slightly futuristic variation, as we shall see below…

Sep 1.jpg

1947 01 MBM.jpg1919 to 1947 Mr H R Barker Manager MBM-Sp47P31.jpgAt the end of the year a gathering of pre­sent and former colleagues took place at the Cafe Royal, Middlesbrough, to say farewell to Mr. H. R. Barker, who was retiring after 44 years' service. There was a reception, followed by tea, and Mr. G. R. Rowland, senior official in the branch, presided. Between 30 and 40 people were present, including Mr. W. R. Dixon, former manager at Albert Road, Middlesbrough, and friend and colleague of Mr. Barker for 40 years ; Mr. E. Stephenson, former manager of Stockton-on-Tees, and also a close friend for 40 years ; Mr. G. C. Dresser, assistant manager, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; Mr. W. Stitt, man­ager, Guisborough ; Mr. T. B. Dixon, manager, Redcar ; Mr. G. H. Bennett, manager, Crook ; Mr. S. Fawcett, manager, Millfield, Sunderland; Mr. L. H. Daniel, Mr. Barker's succes­sor ; Mr. F. Robinson, assistant manager, Middlesbrough; Mr. H. S. Gatty, manager, Ferryhill; and Mr. E. G. Lowery, inspector, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.  A telegram of good wishes was received from Mr. D. O. Maxwell, District General Manager, who was unable to be present. After tributes had been paid by Mr. Dresser, Mr. Stephenson and Mr. Fawcett, the presentation of an electric clock was made by Mr. W. R. Dixon on behalf of subscribers. Miss Graham, who was cashier with Mr. Barker for five years, presented Mrs. Barker with a case of silver cake knives and forks. Mr. Barker entered the bank in 1902 at Stockton, and was transferred to Middlesbrough in 1907. After a brief period of service in the first World War he returned to Middlesbrough and in 1919 he was appointed manager of Linthorpe Road branch, where he has remained ever since.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1919 to 1947 Mr H R Barker Manager MBM-Sp47P31.jpg

1924 Mr J A Gardner joined the bank here MBM-Sp64P55.jpg

1932 to 1932 Mr J R Hall joined the bank here MBM-Sp64P07.jpg

1938 to 1940 Mr J Milner joined here then pro manager between 1956 and 1957 MBM-Wi67P03.jpg

1957 to 1962 Mr J D Grabham Manager MBM-Wi68P06.jpg

1957 to 1963 pro manager then 1966 Mr J Winstanley Manager MBM-Wi66P02.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr H R Barker

Manager

1919 to 1947

Mr J A Gardner

Joined the Bank Here

1924

Mr J R Hall

Joined the Bank Here

1932

Mr J Milner

Joined the Bank Here

1938 to 1940

Mr J G Grabham

Manager

1957 to 1962

Mr J Winstanley

Pro Manager 1957-1963

Manager 1966 onwards

Sep 1.jpg

1962 to 1966 Mr W A Hopewell Manager MBM-Wi66P02.jpg

1963 to 1965 Mr T Soulsby Pro Manager MBM-Au65P04.jpg

1964 to 1967 Mr M L Humble pro Manager MBM-Au64P06.jpg

BW Logo

1967 Mr GN Burrows pro Manager MBM-Au67P07.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr Kenneth Quinn

Joined the Bank here

1959 to 1960

Mr W A Hopewell

Manager

1962 to 1966

Mr T Soulsby

Pro Manager

1963 to 1965

Mr Malcolm Humble

Pro Manager

1964 to 1967

Miss Kathleen Jennison

Joined the Bank Here

1965 to 1967

Mr G N Burrows

Pro Manager

1967 onwards

Sep 1.jpg

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK

YORKSHIRE BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-47-50 Middlesbrough Linthorpe Road

Full Branch

200 Linthorpe Road Middlesbrough Yorkshire

376 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Middlesbrough 47392/3

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J Winstanley Manager

Sep 1.jpg

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-47-50 OXFORD ROAD LINTHORPE

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-47-50 PARLIAMENT ROAD

1904

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

23 March 1983

Currently

opened by the North Eastern Banking company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-56-83 Middlesbrough 200 Linthorpe Road

Closed

Public House

Gutinfo.jpg