Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

Truth is found once again to be stranger than fiction, when in 1928 as the new Martins Bank Limited is created, it finds itself with THREE pairs of identically named Branches at Cattle Markets in the North of England!  At Liverpool’s Stanley Cattle Market, the Bank of Liverpool and Martins inherited an Agency from the Cattle Trade Bank in 1925. 

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

 

Image © Barclays 1927

Sep 1.jpg

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank has also been running an Agency there, and when the two Banks are amalgamated, twin Cattle Agencies also result in Salford and Wakefield!  At Stanley Cattle Market the L and Y Bank Agency is closed in 1928. At the Cattle Market itself, plans have been made to construct a modern abattoir, where the Banks and their Agents can be accomodated in modern, purpose (brick) built premises with their name above the door.  This is achieved in 1930, when the former Cattle Trade Agency moves in to what will become known as STANLEY ABATTOIR BRANCH, a sub office to the Bank’s Branch at Liverpool Kensington.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours :

Saturday:

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-461 Liverpool Stanley Cattle Market

Agency

Cattle Market Stanley Liverpool 13

25 Liverpool

Open Monday Only

No Service

No Telephone

Counter Service

Mr C A Bate

Pre 1927

13 July 1927

3 January 1928

1930

Opened by the Halifax Equitable Bank

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg