Sep 1.jpg

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Sep 1.jpg

In the Southport Area, St Luke’s, along with Eastbank Street and the short-lived main branch at 415 Lord Street come to the eventual ownership of Martins Bank Limited through the amalgamation of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank.  St Luke’s operates as a full branch until the retirement of Mr A E Knight in 1965, when it becomes a self accounting sub branch to Southport 365 Lord Street. For our feature, we go back to 1965, and the retirement of Mr A E Knight.

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/2735

Sep 1.jpg

After forty-three long years in the service of the Bank, the last five of those spent as Manager of St Luke’s Branch in Southport, Mr Knight has a get together with friends at a local hotel…

Sep 1.jpg

1965 01 MBM.jpgsome 30 people including several retired colleagues attended the Metropole Hotel, Southport, where Mr Knight (Manager, St Luke's) entertained his friends on his retirement at the end of November. Mr O. P. Fowler welcomed the District General Manager who, on behalf of subscribers, presented Mr Knight with a cheque which he understood was to be spent on some household object of a permanent nature, possibly an antique. Mr Buchanan also thanked Mr Knight for his services, noting his immaculate appearance, his love for cricket, his organising ability, and his work for the community as treasurer of various organisa­tions. Mr Knight replied in a very entertaining manner, expressed his thanks for the gift and said that he would be retiring to Witherslack in the Lake District. During a very happy evening many reminiscences were exchanged and com­ment was passed on Mr Knight's remarkable attendance record. Only once had he been away since his return from the Forces in 1946, and then he had caught chicken-pox from his own son! He entered the Bank at Shudehill branch in 1922, moving to Cheetham that year and joining the Inspection Department at Head Office in 1934.  He was Pro Manager at Southport branch from 1942 to 1960, apart from three years' war service, before his appointment as Manager of St Luke's branch.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1936 to 1939 Mr F Roberts MBM-Su64P05.jpg

1937 to 1946 Mr W O Roberts Manager MBM-Su46P17.jpg

1939 to 1949 Mr M M Parkinson joined the bank here MBM-Su64P06.jpg

1942 to 1943 Mr P Mundford MBM-Sp66P05.jpg

1946 to 1955 Mr H N Thomas Manager MBM-Au68P55.jpg

1951 to 1953 Mr D Gregson MBM-Sp67P07.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F Roberts

On the Staff

1936 to 1939

Mr W O Roberts

Manager

1937  to 1946

Mr M M Parkinson

Joined the Bank Here

1939 to 1949

Mr P Mundford

On the Staff

1942 to 1943

Mr H N Thomas

Manager

1946 to 1955

Mr D Gregson

On the Staff

1951 to 1953

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1951 to 1954 Mr T Derbyshire joined the bank here MBM-Sp63P45.jpg

1955 to 1955 Mr C D Mawdsley joined the bank here MBM-Su67P07.jpg

1955 to 1960 Mr K Macdonald Manager MBM-Sp66P53.jpg

1960 to 1965 Mr A E Knight Manager MBM-Sp65P51.jpg

1965 Mr G Barnes Clerk in Charge MBM-Sp65P04.jpg

1969 Mr W K Simpson Clerk in Charge MBM-Au69P12.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr T Derbyshire

Joined the Bank Here

1951 to 1954

Mr C D Mawdsley

Joined the Bank Here

1955 to 1955

Mr K MacDonald

Manager

1955 to 1960

Mr A E Knight

Manager

1960 to 1965

Mr G Barnes

Clerk in Charge

1965 to 1969

Mr W K Simpson

Clerk in Charge

1969 onwards

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-45-70 Southport St Luke's

Self Accounting sub to 11-09-80 Southport

48 Ash Street Southport Lancashire

79 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Southport 4717

Nightsafe Installed

Mr W K Simpson Clerk in Charge

1911

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

24 August 2012

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-80-35 Southport St Luke’s

Closed

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg