Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

Fish Quay is an original sub branch of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited. It opens in 1922 little more than mid-way between the bank’s acquisition of the North Eastern Banking Company, and the shortening of its own name to Martins Bank in 1928, following the merger with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank. 

Sep 1.jpg

At the time of the 1969 merger, Fish Quay is one of the smallest branches to have been taken over by Barclays.  In this lovely image, it looks to us just like a scene from Charles Dickens’ “Oliver Twist”, perhaps Fagin and some of his ne’er do wells are about to come swaggering down that sinister looking staircase.  Fish Quay Branch closes for the duration of World War 2, re-opening in 1946. 

Sep 1.jpg

In Service: 1922 until between February and June 1972

Sep 1.jpg

BGA Ref 30-1006 Fish Quay Exterior.jpg

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030-1006

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-45-60 Fish Quay

Sub to 11-45-60 North Shields

11 Union Street Fish Quay North Shields Northumberland

348 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1230

Saturday 0930-1130

North Shields 73356

No Nightsafe Listed

Mr A Galley Manager (North Shields)

North Shields Bedford Street

1922

3 January 1928

1942

1946

15 December 1969

Between February and June 1972

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for the Second World War

Re-opened

Barclays Bank Limited 20-62-09 North Shields

Closed

North shields Tynemouth

Sep 1.jpg

M

Sep 1.jpg

<,

,