Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

ap2

A new Branch at Monkseaton is opened in 1925 by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited, as a sub branch to Whitley Bay.  This nostalgic image from Barclays’ collection dates from around the 1940s.  Until the late 1930s, the Bank provides a list of newly opened Branches, and of premises acquired for future development, in the Directors’ Report section of the Annual Report and Accounts. Below you can see both the announcement of Branches opened in 1925, and the first listing of Monkseaton sub Branch in the Bank’s Branch Directory.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

During the Second World War, staff can’t be found to keep both Whitley Bay AND its sub branch open, so Monkseaton is mothballed from 1941 until 1946.  By 1968 Monseaton is open six days a week providing a counter only service to local shopkeepers and businesses and of course, private customers.  It does survive merging with Barclays, and enjoys being a further ten years’ service until shutting its doors for the final time in 1979.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays 0030/1923

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Bank of Liverpool & Martins Annual Report for 1925 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Bank of Liverpool & Martins Annual Report for 1925 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-37-90 Monkseaton

Sub to 11-37-90 Whitley Bay

24 Front Street Monkseaton Whitley Bay Northumberland

369 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1300

Saturday 0930-1100

Whitley Bay 22356/7

No Nightsafe Installed

Mr A W S Mackay Manager (Whitley Bay)

1925

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

1979

Currently

opened by Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-95-97 Whitley Bay Park View

Closed

Delicatessen

Gutinfo.jpg

<,