Sep 1.jpg

Equitable Bank

Sep 1.jpg

Following the merger of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank in 1928, Martins Bank finds itself with two large full Branches in Huddersfield - at Westgate and at Market Place.    

Sep 1.jpg

 

Image © Barclays 1927

Sep 1.jpg

Image © BT 1927

 

 

The existing branch at 6 & 8 Cloth Hall Street was inherited was inherited by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins just one year earlier from the Equitable Bank.  A review concludes that Cloth Hall Street should close, and a widespread consolidation takes place in Martins Bank’s Branch network between 1928 and 1932, the resultant shake up designed to provide the best spread of Branches and sub-Branches in the North, and the resources to begin an ambitous expansion in the South and West of England and the Channel Islands. Sadly, there are no images of Cloth Hall Street Branch, but the information we have about this Branch and its history, are shown below.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours :

Saturday:

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-362 Huddersfield

Branch

6 & 8 Cloth Hall Street Huddersfield Yorkshire

748 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

0930-1100

Huddersfield 1833

Counter Service

Mr N Lister Manager

Pre 1927

13 July 1927

3 January 1928

1928

Opened by the Halifax Equitable Bank

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg