Sep 1.jpgPalatine Bank

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

Images © Barclays (top) and BT (bottom) 1927

Sep 1.jpg

 

The Palatine Bank – which is established in 1899 as a kind of  “People’s Bank” to manage the small cash savings of some of the poorest people in Manchester, amalgamates with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1919.  Amongst the Branches gained is 4 Market Street Heywood, which is operated by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins for a further nine years.  The Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, which by comparison was always a much larger concern than the Palatine, already had its own larger Branch at 29 Market Place, when it merged with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1928 creating the modern day Martins Bank. Suddenly finding itself the smaller of the Heywood Branches, 4 Market Street is closed - a casualty of consolidation – after only a few months as a Branch of the new Martins Bank. The business is transferred to 29 Market Place as is the Manager of 4 Market Street Mr Frank Mills.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours :

Saturday:

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-352 Heywood

Branch

4 Market Street Heywood Lancashire

746 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

0930-1100

Heywood 102

Counter Service

Mr F MIlls Manager

Pre 1919

30 December 1919

3 January 1928

1928

Opened by the Palatine Bank

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg