Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

Ripponden is opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1924, to complement what was then their Halifax District.  This district comprises the Branches of the Halifax Commercial Bank that were subsumed in 1920, and then added to by the new owners up to 1928. 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpgRipponden

Sep 1.jpg

1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

Branches have been opened during the year at Blackpool, Blyth, Borough Road (Birkenhead), Clubmoor (Liverpool), Harlesden (London) and Hightown (Manchester); and Sub-Branches at Bamburgh, Headingey, Hendon (Sunderland), New Eltham and Ripponden. New Branches will be opened shortly at Bournemouth and Southampton. Premises for New Branches have boon acquired at Farnborough (Kent), Meols (Cheshire) and York.

Sep 1.jpg

Extracts from Annual Report of The Bank of Liverpool and Martins Ltd 1925 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

Following the amalgamations with the Halifax Equitable and Lancashire and Yorkshire Banks in 1927 and 1928 respectively, the Halifax District is too small to survive in addition to the Bank’s new Leeds District, which takes on the Branches of the Halifax District. At time of opening, Ripponden is a sub-Branch to Sowerby Bridge 7 Town Hall Street. It is mothballed in July 1942 for the rest of the Second world War, but is not reopened.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-758 Ripponden

Sub to 11-758 Sowerby Bridge 7 Town Hall Street

7 Elland Road Ripponden Halifax Yorkshire

618 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1100-1500

Saturday 0900-1100

No Phone

Counter Only

Mr P Cowling Manager (Sowerby Bridge)

11 February 1924

3 January 1928

25 July 1942

Currently

Opened by The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War II but not re-opened

Private Residence

Gutinfo.jpg