Sep 1.jpg

image018A new Branch at Hanley is part of Martins Bank’s 1930s expansion into the Midlands and South of England and Wales. This begins almost as soon as the modern day Bank is created in 1928.   More Branches in and around “The Potteries” will be added, including Leek, Longton, Newcastle Under Lyme, Brierley Hill, Tunstall and Stafford. A number of attractive buildings, like this one at Hanley are chosen, and the Midland District is always fondly remembered by those who worked in its Branches and Departments Martins Bank Magazine visits Hanley in 1965, by which time the Branch is almost a victim of its own success – business has been steadily building over the years, and there is now not enough room for the many staff needed to process the work …

 

Sep 1.jpg

1960s  Hanley Exterior  BGA Ref 30-1184.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/1184

We visited Hanley Branch which has to be seen to be believed. Since we worked there on relief in 1937 as part of a staff of 5 comprising Mr J. B. Hall, Mr F. J. Mitchell, Mr J. O. Sparke, Mr D. C. Bardsley and Miss M. O. Griffin, an adjoining shop has been taken in and every floor above is more than fully occupied. Mr Rodney Carr, the second of Hanley's two remark­able managers, is one of the few men who many years ago fought his way out of a specialist department to make a successful career in general banking. His zest for life and work is undiminished and permeates this rabbit warren where the visitor wonders increasingly how the work ever gets done.

Sep 1.jpg

1965 Hanley Machine Room MBM-Au65P29.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

The group photograph (see STAFF GALLERY below) was taken later at a nearby hotel where the staff could be massed conveniently, but in the Branch we had discovered that the person who has most room is he who travels along the short passage from the customers’ space to the lift.  In fairness to our Premises people we must stress that we saw the staff at work just before the June balance and after 3 o’clock when Branch banking becomes ‘group activity’.

1965 Hanley Back Desk MBM-Au65P29.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1960s  Hanley Interior  BGA Ref 30-1184.jpg Image © Barclays Ref: 30/1184

Sep 1.jpg

A desk in the banking hall is used for making up the post, bodies line the back desk where ‘Excuse me’ is heard every time others try to move between them and the stationery cupboards lining the back wall, Mr Mason’s broad back faces the office he runs from a tiny desk below the end window and everything has to be passed to him over his shoulder. Upstairs we found a secretary typing in the voucher room, two people working at the ‘canteen’ table, and eight more in a room furnished with cabinets, machines and a table. Off some rooms are sub-rooms and sub-sub-rooms, best suited to single working or ‘diddy’ people.  It is a fantastic workshop with more good humour, goodwill and laughter on three floors than in many a more spacious and glamorous office. If you stand still in Hanley Branch you are in somebody’s way and we suspect that the mobile tills are specially reinforced to withstand a concerted push when the strong room door is battened down at night.

The whole area is due for rebuilding and little can be done at present to improve conditions. Meanwhile we raise the editorial hat to all at Hanley!

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1965 Hanley Staff MBM-Au65P29.jpg

1965 – Standing: Miss M A Mellor Miss A Leese P H Davis Miss B M Byrne J W Warburton Miss G Wilcox

Mrs M Shemon Mrs P M Or ton W Watkins A J Gott K A Shakespeare Miss N M Watson Miss M M Dun/op

Miss D S Salt B K Taylor Mrs B Brownsword D G Holmes T Williams Miss E A Humphries

Seated: G H Brown (Assistant Manager) E R Carr (Manager) J Mason (Pro Manager)

Sep 1.jpg

1936 to 1956 Mr J B Hall Manager MBM-Su56P49.jpg

1937 Alec R Ellis MBM-Su63P57.jpg

1937 Mr D C Bardsley Joined hereMBM-Su58P08.jpg

1938 to 1946 Mr A E Teasdale MBM-Wi63P58.jpg

1938 to 1947 Mr F J Mitchell Pro Manager MBM-Au59P52.jpg

1939 to 1956 Mr J Bridgwood joined the bank here MBM-Wi66P05.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J B Hall

Manager

1936 to 1956

Mr Alec R Ellis

Relief Staff

1937

Mr D C Bardsley

Joined the Bank here

1937

Mr A E Teasdale

On the Staff

1938 to 1946

Mr F J Mitchell

Pro Manager

1938 to 1947

Mr J Bridgwood

Joined the Bank here

1939 to 1956

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1951 to 1953 Mr D W Hall Limited Authority MBM-Sp65P03.jpg

1951 to 1959 Mr K Legan joined the bank here MBM-Sp68P07.jpg

1952 to 1953 Mr F Morlidge joined the bank here MBM-Au66P02.jpg

1952 to 1956 Mr J Harbit Assistant Manager MBM-Wi68P06.jpg

1952 to 1958 Mr NS Wickstead pro Manager MBM-Su64P04.jpg

1956 to 1961 Mr J W Tickle MBM-Su66P06.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr D W Hall

Limited Authority

1951 to 1953

Mr Ken Legan

Joined the Bank Here

1951 to 1959

Mr F Morlidge

Joined the Bank Here

1952 to 1953

Mr J Harbit

Assistant Manager

1952 to 1956

Mr N S Wickstead

Pro Manager

1952 to 1958

Mr J W Tickle

On the Staff

1956 to 1961

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1956 to 1967 Mr E R Carr Manager MBM-Sp67P51.jpg

1958 to 1967 Mr J Mason Ltd auth from 1965 MBM-Su67P07.jpg

1965 Miss MM Dunlop Staff MBM-Su65P43.jpg

1967 Mr EM Farrell Manager MBM-Sp67P03.jpg

1967 to 1969 Mr M Youngson Limited Authority MBM-Sp69P10.jpg

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr E R Carr

Manager

1956 to 1967

Mr J Mason

Limited Authority

1958 to 1967

Miss M M Dunlop

On the Staff

1965

Mr E M Farrell

Manager

1967 onwards

Mr M Youngson

Limited Authority

1967 to 1969

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-30-40 Hanley

Full Branch

11 Market Square Hanley Stoke on Trent Staffordshire

586 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Stoke-on-T 25175/6 & 21596/7

Nightsafe Installed

Mr E M Farrell Manager

Sep 1.jpg

1936

15 December 1969

22 February 1974

1988

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-36-41 Hanley Market Square

Closed

Demolished and replaced by “The Potteries Shopping Centre”.

Gutinfo.jpg