Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

 

Martins Bank begins to reinforce its presence in London more or less from the word go, and between 1928 and the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, around twenty Branches are opened in the Capital.  No 22 Fenchurch Street is a temporary office, opened  in July 1937, moving to permanent premises at 114 FENCHURCH STREET the following year.  

Sep 1.jpg

 

Image © Barclays 1937

Sep 1.jpg

Image © BT 1937

 

 

Temporary Branches are a very important part of claiming a stake in a new area.  There are many examples of Martins Bank opening for business only to move within a year or so to larger premises. This means that whilst a permanent Branch is being constructed or adapted for use, customers can get to know their new Martins Bank Manager and his staff.  This is an effective form of a policy known in today’s world of customer service as “recruitment and retention”.  We would not of course expect to find a photograph of this short-lived Branch of Martins Bank, but it is frustrating that a photo of its successor – a Branch that although knocked down and rebuilt is still open today – still eludes us…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1912 to 1913 Mr E H Denman  MBM-Sp49P05.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr E H Denman

Manager

1937 to 1938

Mr E N Norman-Butler

Assistant Manager

1937 to 1938

Mr D C McClure

Accountant

1937 to 1938

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours :

Saturday:

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-3 London 22 Fenchurch Street

Temporary Ful Branch

22 Fenchurch Street London E C 3

440 london

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

0930-1100

MANsion House 2017

Counter Service

Mr E H Denman Manager

Sep 1.jpg

15 July 1937

1938

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to 114 Fenchurch Street EC3

Gutinfo.jpg