Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Dewsbury Westgate seems always to have been the poor relation to Dewsbury Market Place Branch.  It is an original branch of the Halifax Commercial Bank, which merges with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1920.  Market Place is a large office, belonging to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank until they amalgamate with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1928.  Dewsbury Westgate closes in 1932 We have tried to research the employment history of Martins’ Dewsbury Staff, and only one of them turns out to have started work for the Halifax Commercial Bank.

Sep 1.jpg

Dewsbury Westgate

Image © B T 1929

Sep 1.jpg

Dewsbury.jpg  1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

The rest are what are referred to as “L & Y Men” or joined Martins after 1928.  We have no image of the branch, so if you can help with information or images of this or any of our other branches please do get in touch with us at the usual address gutinfo@btinternet.com.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1924 to 1936 Mr L Atkins joined the bank here MBM-Wi68P55.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr L Atkins

Joined the Bank Here

1924 to 1932

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-232 Dewsbury Westgate

Sub to 11-232 Dewsbury

37 Westgate Dewsbury Yorkshire

728 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Dewsbury 30

Counter Only

W A Taylor Sub-Manager Dewsbury (1930)

 

1903

16 January 1920

3 January 1928

1932

Opened by Halifax Commercial Bank

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Currently

Gutinfo.jpg