Sep 1.jpg

Finding it hard to

settle down?

Sep 1.jpg

1938 COA.jpgMessrs Wakefield, Crewdson’s Kendal Bank, first opens a branch in the Lancashire railway town of Carnforth in 1887 some five years before the merger of the Kendal Bank and the Bank of Liverpool. 

Sep 1.jpg

Carnforth

Sep 1.jpg

Image not available

Sep 1.jpg

Carnforth 2 Scotland Road BT.jpgFrom then on the branch seems to have played a game of musical chairs, occupying several premises in Carnforth before finally settling down at 3 MARKET STREET at the end of 1907.  By this time it has already been sited at 30 Market Street from 1887, and Lancaster Road from 1899. 

Sep 1.jpg

Barclays’ records show one further temporary move in 1938 – this time under the name of Martins Bank - to No 2 Scotland Road, followed by a return to Market Street the same year. 

Sep 1.jpg

This move is not fully documented or explained, so we can speculate that it may have been for reasons of refurbishment or repairs at Market Street. Whatever the reason, the Bank considers it important enough to change the phonebook entry for that year to reflect the temporary address.

Sep 1.jpg

Phone Book Image © BT 1938

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1952 Mr A Martin Managerr MBM-Wi52P47.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr A Martin

Manager

1937 to 1952

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index No and District:

Opening Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-178 Carnforth

Temporary Branch

2 Scotland Road Carnforth Lancashire

227 Northern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Carnforth 2647

Nightsafe Installed

A Martin Manager 1938

Sep 1.jpg

1938

1938

Moved temporarily to 2 Scotland Road

Closed and Moved back to 3 Market Street

Gutinfo.jpgx