Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

The small village of Gilsland lies eighteen miles North-East of the City of Carlisle, and actually sits either side of the borders of Cumberland and Northumberland, about a mile and a half from the historic Thirlwall Castle. A sub-Branch is opened there in 1923 by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins, the parent Branch being at nearby Haltwhistle. In its time, Gilsland is a reasonably busy branch, opening for ten and a half hours across three days each week, including Saturday Mornings. Between 1956 and 1960 Martins assesses its stock of branches, and decides which will be closed, re-furbished or rebuilt, ahead of a major 1960s programme of new branch building in the Midlands and the South.

 

Sep 1.jpg

Gilsland

Sep 1.jpg

 

1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from the Annual Report and Accounts of the

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Ltd 1923 Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-327 Gilsland

Sub to 11-327 Haltwhistle

Gilsland Cumberland

207 Northern

Tue and Fri 1000-1430

Saturday 0900-1130

No Telephone

Counter Service Only

Mr Frederick A Leake Manager (Haltwhistle 1923)

11 May 1923

3 January 1928

1959

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg