Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

In June 1958, what looks like a couple of old terraced houses is bulldozed to make way for something, well, altogether different.  Looking like a cross between a public library and a public convenience, the newly built branch of Martins Bank at Belford occupies the same site as the old one. All this take splace a year or two ahead of the major rebuilding programme with which the Bank forges ahead to welcome in the 1960s. We will see new buildings which look far worse than the new Belford Office as the architecture of the new decade is explored to the full. Whilst Belford is being knocked down, and until it can rise again from the rubble, business is conducted from 32 Market Place for which, sadly no images are currently available…

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Martins Bank Archive Collection and Barclays

 

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collection – restored 2019

Sep 1.jpg

This short piece of news comes from the Newcastle Journal of 19 June 1958. The “work” it refers to as being hopefully completed in a month’s time is not an optimist forecast of a new branch – it refers simply to the demolition work. The job of building the new office takes just over a year and the temporary branch at 32 High Street closes its doors for the final time on Saturday 8 August 1959.

Sep 1.jpg

Newpaper Image (left) © Trinity Mirror Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. Image reproduced with kind permission of 

The British Newspaper Archive

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-065 Belford

TEMPORARY BRANCH

32 High Street Belford  Northumberland

307 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Belford 316

Counter Services Only

Mr R O Brunton Manager

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-71-20%20Chester_files/image058.jpg

June 1958

Saturday 8 August 1959

Opened Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved back to 35 Eastgate Street

Gutinfo.jpg