Sep 1.jpg

1941 Wakefield Exterior BGA Ref 30-3034

Image © Barclays Ref 30/3034

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays 1929

Sep 1.jpg

 

{Branches have been opened at London (16, Hanover Square, W.), Lower Bebington (Cheshire), Richmond (Yorks.), Stockton-on-Tees (Norton Road) and Wakefield; and Sub-Branches have been opened at Gainford (Co. Durham), Irby (Cheshire), Otford (Kent), Staindrop (Co. Durham) and Stanwix (Carlisle). Premises for new Branches have been acquired at Blackpool Whitegate Drive), Bridlington, Hendon (Middlesex), London (Holloway Road, 7), Newcastle-upon-Tyne (Northumberland Street) and Timperley (Cheshire).}

Sep 1.jpg

Extracs from Martins Bank Limited Annual Report and Accounts for 1929 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

1928 does not only see new branches resulting from the amalgamation of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank.  The newly created Martins Bank gets to work immediately to open and plan even more outlets – some sixteen between 1928 and 1929. Of these some may well fulfil the previous commitments of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, whislt others will be to gain new ground or consolidate in existing areas.  Wakefield opens on the 16TH of February 1928, and immediately gains a sub branch at Wakefield Cattle Market, from the Landcashire and Yorkshire Bank.  The wonderful Branch photograph above is from 1941, and yes the bank IS advertising Government Bonds with a banner at least twice the size of its own Martins Bank signage!  Martins Bank’s Circulars throughout World War Two are full of instructions ordering staff to promote – at every possible opportunity – the take up of National Savings and Government Bonds. This is, effectively, an appeal to investors to help bankroll the war.  We have two features from Martins Bank Magazine for Wakefield Branch. There is a branch visit at the beginning of 1951, and a very brief article with a staff group picture, from early in 1966…

Sep 1.jpg

1951 01 MBM.jpgOn January 29th we paid our first visit to Wakefield, choosing one of the worst days of the winter to do so. Fog had reduced visibility to a few yards and frost made the air penetratingly keen. We were over two hours late in arriving and we could see nothing of the city apart from a few names in the gloom—The Bull Ring, Kirkgate, Northgate and Westgate in which our branch is situated. It was most tantalising to pass the cathedral precincts without seeing even the shape of a building in the fog. When we reached the branch Mr. Oldroyd was out looking for us and so we introduced ourselves to E. M. Ranson and Miss S. Moffatt, the other two members of the staff. Mr. Ranson served with the R.A.M.C. from 1940 to 1946, mostly in the Far East and part of the time trooping between India and Singapore. His previous service includes Bradford, Leeds, Castleford and Pontefract. He is keen on his job and having passed the Bankers' examinations is now tackling those of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries.

 

1951 Wakefiled Staff MBM-Sp51P52.jpgMiss Moffatt has only been in the Bank since last September and Wakefield is her first branch. In her spare time she takes an active part in the local Girl Guide movement. When Mr. Oldroyd returned we retired for lunch, there to deepen an acquaintanceship begun two years ago at the finals of the Directors' Golf Challenge Cup Competition; for Mr. Oldroyd is a good golfer and won the cup in 1949 and 1950, and is hoping to qualify again this year. Mrs. Oldroyd is a golfer too. Wakefield branch is his first appointment, his previous service being at Pontefract, Bradford, Hull and Bridlington. During the war he served with the Navy and had a very interesting job which started at Immingham, and took him successively to Murmansk, where he was shore based, then to New Guinea, the Philippines and finally to Hong Kong. His contacts with the Russians were of particular interest to us in view of the trend of events. He is now on the retired list with the rank of Lieutenant-Commander (S) and holds the Volunteer Reserve Decoration for long service, for he was in the R.N.V.R. before the war. Our office at Wakefield, now in better premises than originally, is spacious and well-appointed and we were sorry that owing to the bad travelling conditions our visit had to be so brief.

Sep 1.jpg

1966 Wakefield Staff MBM-Su66P24.jpg1966 02 MBM.jpgWakefield is the county town of the West Riding and was originally its main wool centre. Engineering, and old but valued farming connections and much private business help the branch today to counteract the pull of Leeds, Dewsbury and Huddersfield on family interests in a take-over age.  Mining was one of the chief concerns of the branch before the Coal Board was born, but this old office houses youthful energy and still shows a welcome profit.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1938 to 1948 Mr A H Sutcliffe Manager MBM-Wi60P52.jpg

1948 to 1956 Mr W Oldroyd Manager MBM-Su62P30.jpg

1949 x Mr FM Walker MBM-Wi64P05

1949 to 1950 Mr T B Daniels MBM-Au51P47

Sep 1.jpg

Mr A H Sutcliffe

Manager

1938 to 1948

Mr W Oldroyd

Manager

1948 to 1956

Mr F M Walker

On the Staff

? to 1949

Mr T B Daniels

On the Staff

1949 to 1950

Sep 1.jpg

1951 Miss S Moffat MBM-Sp51P52.jpg

1951 Mr E N Ranson MBM-Sp51P52.jpg

1956 to 1965 Mr J E S Mason Manager MBM-Au65P02.jpg

1965 Mr G Sharpe Manager MBM-Au65P03.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Miss S Moffat

On the Staff

1951

Mr E N Ranson

On the Staff

1951

Mr J S Mason

Manager

1956 to 1965

Mr G Sharpe

Manager

1965 onwards

Sep 1.jpg

1965 Mr R Horner MBM-Au65P03.jpg

1966 Miss J Firth MBM-Sp66P24.jpg

1966 Miss S M Lumb MBM-Sp66P24.jpg

1966 Mr J H Whiteley MBM-Sp66P24.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr R Horner

On the Staff

1965

Miss J Firth

On the Staff

1965

Miss S M Lumb

On the Staff

1965

Mr J H Whiteley

On the Staff

1965

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-92-80 Wakefield

Full Branch

55 Westgate Wakefield Yorkshire     

625 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500 

Saturday 0930-1100

Wakefield 76945

Nightsafe Installed

Mr G Sharpe Manager

Sub Branches

Title:

Type:

Address:

Hours:

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-846 WAKEFIELD CATTLE MARKET

Sub to 11-846 Wakefield

Cattle Market Wakefield Yorkshire

Open Wednesdays (1928)

No Telephone

Counter Service Only

Mr A H Sutcliffe Manager (1940)

16 February 1928

15 December 1969

21 April 1978

2015

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-89-70 Wakefield

Closed

The Dyslexia Institute

Gutinfo.jpg