Sep 1.jpg

Palatine Bank

Sep 1.jpg

When days were old, and Knights Palatine were bold, they built this fabulous little castle in Fallowfield. It reminds us of “Pippin Fort” in the 1960s BBC Television children’s puppet series “Trumpton”. The acquisition in 1919 of the Palatine Bank is key to the expansion into the City of Manchester by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins.  None of the activities of the two banks overlap, with the Palatine Bank’s area practically adjoining that of the Bank of Liverpool. 

Sep 1.jpg

1967 Fallowfield Staff MBM-Au67P23.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1950 s Fallowfield Exterior  BGA Ref 30-967

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/0967

Sep 1.jpg

Newly acquired Manchester branches include the Palatine’s Head Office at Brown Street, along with Brooks’s Bar, Cheetham, Moss Side, Seymour Grove and Fallowfield.  By the late 1960s large parts of Manchester are overdue for regeneration, and a number of Martins Bank’s branches are marked for demolition and redevelopment.  This process had already been taking place in the North East since 1963. The Branch at Fallowfield is visited briefly by Martins Bank Magazine in Autumn 1967 as part of its tour of Manchester Branches that have seen better days. Although the Branch looks for all the world like a small castle, the Magazine seems to prefer the term “church hall appearance”…

Sep 1.jpg

1967 03 MBM.jpgFallowfield Branch in the bed sitter belt to the South-East of Manchester provided us with a welcome change of  air and scenery with its characteristic Palatine Bank “church hall” appearance, recent extensions at the back having made life in the office much less cramped. The in-built built-up village atmosphere survives and the business increases on the busy Wilmslow Road which may eventually be widened and result in the loss of yet another branch of distinctive character.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1908 Mr H A Paersch joined the service here MBM-Au47P15.jpg

1923 to 1924 Mr J D Tomkys joined the bank here MBM-Au49P55.jpg

1936 to 1948 Mr A Slater Clerk in Charge MBM-Wi66P57.jpg

1948 to 1951 Mr L Richards Clerk in Charge MBM-Su68P12.jpg

1957 to 1960 Mr H Headey Clerk in Charge MBM-Su68P51.jpg

1962 to 1963 Mr K Livesley Clerk in Charge MBM-Sp64P06.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr H A Paersch

Joined the Bank Here

1908

Mr J D Tomkys

Joined the Bank Here

1923 to 1924

Mr A Slater

Clerk in Charge

1936 to 1948

Mr L Richards

Clerk in Charge

1948 to 1951

Mr H Headey

Clerk in Charge

1957 to 1960

Mr K Livesley

Clerk in Charge

1962 to 1963

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1964 to 1967 Mr A N Meyer CIC 1963 then Manager from 1967 MBM-Au67P06.jpg

1967 Miss C R Potts MBM-Au67P23.jpg

1967 Miss M E Slack MBM-Au67P23.jpg

1967 Mr C Stock Relief MBM-Au67P23.jpg

1967 Mr J E Robinson MBM-Au67P23.jpg

1967 Mr P R Foster MBM-Au67P23.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr A N Meyer

Clerk in Charge 1964-67

Manager 1967 onwards

Miss C R Potts

On the Staff

1967

Miss M E Slack

On the Staff

1967

Mr C Stock

Relief Staff

1967

Mr J E Robinson

On the Staff

1967

Mr P R Foster

On the Staff

1967

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-78-30 Manchester Fallowfield

Full Branch

306 Wilmslow Road Manchester 14

504 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

061 224 4667

Nightsafe installed

Mr A N Meyer Manager

By 1914

30 December 1919

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

22 September 1988

Currently

Opened by The Palatine Bank

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-54-75 Manchester Fallowfield

Closed

This area has been redeveloped

Gutinfo.jpg