Sep 1.jpg

A picture containing text, outdoor

Description automatically generated “This watercolour impression of Martins Bank’s proposed new branch at Bedford Street Exeter was commissioned in the late 1940s, whilst Staff were still occupying temporary premises in Queen Street. This followed the complete destruction of the original branch on 23 April 1942 during the famous Baedecker Air Raid”…

Sep 1.jpg

 

The story of Martins Bank’s branches in Exeter has so far involved the bombing of the original branch at 5 Bedford Street, and the staff making do in small and uncomfortable premises for nearly nine years. 

Sep 1.jpg

The waiting is finally over, and in 1951 the Bank moves into its brand new branch. The architect commissioned to design the new branch of Martins Bank Exeter paints this detailed watercolour picture in 1950. In line with much post-war construction, it will be a bright, modern replacement for the original branch. A site is chosen opposite that of the original, and it will be known as number 6 Bedford Street.

Sep 1.jpg

In Service: 1951 until November 1982

Sep 1.jpg

Image – Martins Bank Archive Collections

Sep 1.jpg

In the twenty-first century, the new building is no longer a bank, but a reminder of its’ days as Martins Bank is still there in the form of Martins Bank’s COAT OF ARMS  which today can still be seen above the door. For our feature, we go back to March 1960 and the retirement of Exeter Manager Mr Tom Collinge, who sadly has been away from work with severe health problems for some time.  Mr Collinge is such a well-loved character, that Martins Bank Magazine pays him special tribute in their write-up of his career…

Sep 1.jpg

 

1951 to 1960 Mr T S Collinge Manager MBM-Su60P52.jpg1960 02.jpgOne of the most colourful and entertaining characters in the Bank retired at the end of March, unfortunately owing to ill-health, and it was some months before his decision to retire that the illness overtook Mr Collinge which prevented his return to work.  We have many happy memories of Tom Collinge.  He had a great sense of humour and he was an excellent raconteur, while a speech from him could be guaranteed to have an original flavour about it which was an entertainment in itself.  He liked the good things of life, and the last letter we received from him in response to our request for the accompanying photograph was so typical of him that it implied by its robust tenor that he is winning the battle back to health.  “If the only way you can boost your circulation is by publishing photographs of the Ancient Britons, well, I say publish and be damned”.  Mr Collinge joined the staff of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank in 1926 and serves for varying periods at Bury, Whitefiled, Heywood, Oldham, Haslingden and Waterfoot before his translation to Exeter in 1930.  He served with H M Forces from 1942 to 1945 and was appointed Manager at Exeter shortly after his return.  We send him every good wish for a speedy return to good health.

Sep 1.jpg

The rebuilding of Exeter City Centre sees a new Branch of Martins rise from the ashes of World War Two by 1951.  As we have already seen, a handsome watercolour is commissioned to show off what is a modern but sympathetic design. The new building seems to have stood the test of time in its first sixty-six years, and the Martins Bank Coat of Arms above the door now lends a certain authority to the luxury jewellery business currently at home within the walls of 6 Bedford Street.  Our thanks to Kate Snowden for braving an extremely busy city centre, and an Army recruitment campaign, to obtain a contemporary image for us…

Sep 1.jpg

Image – Martins Bank Archive Collections

Image © Kate Snowden 2016

 

Sep 1.jpg

1945 to 1960 Mr T S Collinge Manager MBM-Su60P52.jpg

1953 to 1955 Mr L D Tunna MBM-Sp66P07.jpg

1959 to 1963 Mr R A C Sleap MBM-Wi63P11.jpg

1960 to 1968 Mr R Crossley Manager MBM-Su68P52.jpg

1962 (joined here) to 1966 Mr P Walsh pro Manager from 1966 MBM-Wi66P02.jpg

1963 to 1965 Miss M D Taylor joined the bank here MBM-Su65P12.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr T S Collinge

Manager

1951 to 1960

Mr L D Tunna

On the Staff

1953 to 1955

Mr R A C Sleap

On the Staff

1959 to 1963

Mr R Crossley

Manager

1960 to 1968

Mr M P Walsh

Joined Here 1962

Pro Manager 1966

Miss M D Taylor

Joined the Bank Here

1963 to 1965

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1964 to 1966 Mr RO Brunton Pro Manager MBM-Wi64P05.jpg

1968 to 1969 Mr V G Smith Manager MBM-Su68P22.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R O Brunton

Pro Manager

1964 to 1966

Mr V G Smith

Manager

1968 to 1969

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

20 High Street                  St Thomas

5 Bedford St (Trustee)     171 Sidwell Street

Cattle Market

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

High Street

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

234 High Street                Cattle Market

Trustee                            Heavitree

District Office                  Pinhoe

St Thomas                        Sidwell Street

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

6 Bedford Street

Cattle Market

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

High Street

Exbridge

Cattle Market

Sidwell Street

NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK

58 High Street                  County Hall

Trustee                            Heavitree

Eastgate                           St Thomas

65 High Street                  University

Cattle Market                   Whipton

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

UNITED DOMINIONS TRUST

High Street

WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED

High Street

St Thomas

Cattle Market

WILLIAMS DEACON’S BANK

19 Southernhay East

Sep 1.jpg

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-77-30 Exeter

Full Branch

6 Bedford Street Exeter Devon

157 South Western

Mon to Fri 1000-1500 

Saturday 0930-1100

Exeter 55818

Nightsafe Installed

Mr V G Smith Manager

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

SEE ALSO:

Sep 1.jpg

 

11-257 Exeter X

Full Branch Destroyed 23 April 1942

Sep 1.jpg

 

11-257 ExeterX

Temporary Branch 1942 to 1951

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

Exeter 6 Queen Street

1951

15 December 1969

24 April 1970

24 April 1970

November 1982

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-30-42 Exeter Bedford Street

Branch Closed

Building used by Barclays Bank Trust Company

Building sold and business transferred to new Area Office

Exeter Cattle Market

Sep 1.jpg

M

Sep 1.jpg