Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Equitable Bank

Sep 1.jpg

The Equitable Bank merges with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1927, and amongst a number of key Branches in Yorkshire is No 64 Leopold Street Sheffield.  Following the creation of the modern day Martins Bank Limited in 1928, business at Leopold Street has grown beyond the physical restraints of the building, and Martins moves to what it described as “one of the most outstanding and modern blocks of business premises in Sheffield” at TELEPHONE BUILDINGS, West Street.

Sep 1.jpg

Sheffield Independent 4 Jan 1926

Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. Image reproduced with kind permission of The British Newspaper Archive

Sep 1.jpg

64 Leopold Street is first leased by the Equitable Bank at Christmas 1924, and spends roughly the same amount of time a Martins Branch, as it does an Equitable Bank Branch. Fittingly that address is used today by high street Bank Virgin Money…

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sheffield Independent 30 Jan 1929

Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. Image reproduced with kind permission of The British Newspaper Archive

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Bank of Liverpool and Martins Annual Report and Accounts for 1927 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

Image © BT 1928

Sep 1.jpg

 { Martins Bank has hitherto operated in Sheffield from the branch office in Leopold street, but on and after Monday next, 22 December, it will do so from their new premises in the Telephone Buildings, West street which is one of the most outstanding and modern blockd of business premises in Sheffield. Small accounts as well as large are open, and “home banks” issued on a minimum deposit of one shilling. 

 

Martins Bank, which has over 510 offices in various parts of the country, has its headquarters in Liverpool at 7, Water street, while its London office is in the hub of the Money Market, at  68, Lombard street, E.C.3.}

Sheffield Independent 20 Dec 1930

Image and text © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created

courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

Image reproduced with kind permission of The British Newspaper Archive

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1928 to 1932 Mr P Q K Sutcliffe MBM-Wi57P43

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr P Q K Sutcliffe

On the Staff

1928 to 1932

 

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-734 Sheffield

Full Branch

64 Leopold Street Sheffield Yorkshire

623 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Sheffield 285

Nightsafe Installed

Not  known

23 December 1924

13 July 1927

3 January 1928

20 December 1930

Today

leased by the Halifax Equitable Bank

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited

Martins Bank Lmited

Closed and moved to Telephone Buildings, West Street

Virgin Money

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg


<,

,