Sep 1.jpg

1962 Stratford upon Avon Exterior 3 Iris Brooks.JPG

Image © Iris Brooks 1962

Sep 1.jpg

image062Despite Martins Bank having historical connections back to the time of Shakespeare, it is not until 1958 that the Bank opens up shop in the birthplace of the Bard himself, in a former tearoom know as the Shakespeare Gallery! The colour image on this page of our Stratford upon Avon branch is taken from one of two slides of Midland District Branches kindly provided by our good friend and Martins Colleague, Iris Brooks.  The second image can be seen on our SHREWSBURY page.  When Martins Bank Magazine visits Stratford upon Avon Branch some seven months after it was opened, they are not even fifteen words into their first sentence before “the Bard of Avon” himself is mentioned, and by the second paragraph the “sudden realisation” that they are visiting the town on Shakespeare’s birthday, sends the writer into ever more rapture…

Sep 1.jpg

1959 02 MBM.jpgThe sunshine of a perfect April day bathed the city of the Bard of Avon as we paid our first visit to the ancient town since our branch was opened there in September of last year. Our visit was obviously expected as the Union Jack had been spread across the front of our building and, gazing at the rows of flagstaffs with the flags of the nations thereon waiting to be broken, we were most impressed with the standing of our bank in this famous town, and with the influence of Mr. Gordon Proud, its Manager, whose position is such that in a few short months he has only to whisper that he is expecting a visit from a Head Office official to cause the town to put on a display of unbridled rejoicing!

 

And then the truth dawned. April 23rd, the day of our visit, is Shakespeare's birthday. Well, at least we had chosen the right day on which to pay our own modest tribute, and nothing is more pleasant than to arrive in a town which is en fete, for we like music and dancing in the streets, processions and suchlike ceremonial. Our branch is very well situated in the banking quarter, almost on a corner site. Although the property has, of necessity, been converted to its present use, it has a recorded history of five centuries.

x

In mediaeval times it belonged to Stratford's Guild of the Holy Cross and was oc­cupied as an inn known as the “Angel”. There are records of rebuilding operations during 1467-1469.  Following the suppression of the Guild, the “Angel” passed into the ownership of the Corpora­tion of Stratford-upon-Avon, whose property it still remains. The “Angel” was an important hostelry in Shakespeare's time. After a period of decay followed by rebuilding in the   eighteenth century it appears to have been used at one time as an inn and at another as a private dwelling. During the last century its premises were occupied by a succession of drapers until the house was res­tored and opened in 1913 as an antique shop and tearooms known as the Shakespeare Gallery. The building is a half-timbered structure typical of many to be found in the Stratford of Shakes­peare. The core of the building certainly belongs to the late thirteenth century, although for the most part it is of later addition and some modern imitation. The premises as existing lent themselves admirably to a conversion of this nature and a minimum of structural alteration proved necessary to provide the required accommodation. The half-timbering with its lath and plaster infilling providing a contrast in black and white, the overhanging upper storeys and the twin gables, all contribute to a fine elevation that faces the busiest part of the town in the centre of a predominantly business area. The layout of the interior was governed by the position of the existing iron and steel columns now incorporated into the counter screen behind the cashiers.  This was successfully accomplished by casing and decorative treatment, and another difficulty involved in concealing an irregular ceiling broken with a mass of beams varying in depths was effectively solved by masking with a suspended ceiling.

Sep 1.jpg

1959 Stratford upon Avon Interior before coversion from old tearooms MBM-Su59P26.jpg

BEFORE

The Branch in its days as

the Shakespeare Tea Rooms

AFTER

Smooth lines, and the suspended ceiling

of the new banking hall

Sep 1.jpg

The partition separating the banking hall from the waiting room outside the Manager's Office is the focal point of the interior design. The decora­tive glazing in the screen incorporating a stylized Bank Coat of Arms as the predominant feature was designed and executed by a department of the Kingston School of Art.

Sep 1.jpg

1959 Stratford Upon Avon Staff MBM-Su59P27.jpgLiving so far south is an entirely new experience for Mr. and Mrs. Proud, both of whom are North-Easterners. He has worked in Newcastle, Stockton and as Pro Manager at Durham prior to his present appointment.  His second-in-command, Mr. A. Atkin, was trained at Derby and only the junior male member of the staff, Mr T Sumner, had previously lived in the town, though he is actually a native of Tamworth. Miss M. Dodds, the lady member, is Scottish and comes to us because her father is a serving officer in the R.A.F. and has until recently been stationed at Wellesbourne. After we had had the pleasure of entertaining Mr. and Mrs. Proud to lunch we got caught up in the festivities right outside our branch. Following lunch at the Memorial Theatre the visiting notabilities walked in procession to Shakespeare's birthplace to lay wreaths and then to his burial place for the same purpose.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 30-2816

Sep 1.jpg

 

A military band preceded them and we saw (from a distance) Valerie Hobson, now Mrs. John Profumo, wife of the M.P. for Stratford, and Paul Robeson. We had not seen Miss Hobson since we entertained her, on behalf of the Bank, when she visited Liverpool some years ago. Then followed a short drive to a quiet country lane, away from the milling crowds, for the purpose of taking the staff photograph, and after a few very crowded hours we said a regretful goodbye. We were pleased to note that the new branch is making very satisfactory progress and before long will be firmly established.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 30-2816

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1958 to 1960 Mr A Atkin MBM-Wi64P07.jpg

1958 to 1964 Mr G Proud Manager MBM-Wi64P07.jpg

1959 Miss Dodds MBM-Su59P27.jpg

1959 Mr Sumner MBM-Su59P27.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr Alan Atkin

Branch Second

1958 to 1960

Mr G Proud

Manager

1958 to 1964

Miss M Dodds

On the Staff

1958 to ?

Mr T Sumner

Joined the Bank Here

1958 to ?

Sep 1.jpg

1960 to 1966 Mr J R Barrett MBM-Au66P06.jpg

1964 to 1968 Mr P D Dyson Manager MBM-Wi64P08.jpg

1965 Monica Hornsby Cashier MBM-Wi65P42.jpg

1966 Mr F Hartley pro Manager MBM-Au66P02.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J R Barrett

On the Staff

1960 to 1966

Mr P D Dyson

Manager

1964 to 1968

Miss Monica Hornsby

Cashier

1965

Mr F Hartley

Pro Manager

1966

Sep 1.jpg

1968 Mr RM Roberts Manager MBM-Sp68P07.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr R M Roberts

Manager

1968 onwards

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-35-80 Stratford upon Avon

Full Branch

20 Bridge Street Stratford upon Avon Warwickshire

581 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Stratford upon Avon 5821/2

Nightsafe Installed

Mr R M Roberts Manager

September 1958

15 December 1969

24 April 1998

2015

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-83-07 Stratford upon Avon

Closed

Unisex Clothing Outlet

Gutinfo.jpg