Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

In 1881 the steady expansion of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank continues throughout the two counties.  The profits of the bank are healthy and growing steadily year on year.  It is also a busy year for new branches, with a total of six being opened -  Bury, Haslingden and Dewsbury, with sub branches at Ramsbottom, Manchester New Cross, and Swinton. The Lancashire and Yorkshire opens their Haslingden Branch at first in temporary premises, then in this marvellous churchlike building on the corner of Regent street and Blackburn Road. At this time they will ot be aware of how “churchlike” it will actually become…

 

Sep 1.jpg

Image Courtesy - http://haslingdens.blogspot.co.uk/

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

1922 Branch Exterior as L and Y Bank WN Townson

Image Courtesy – http://haslingdens.blogspot.co.uk/

In 1936 Martins Bank wants to call time on Regent Street, and acquires a new property at 34 DEARDENGATE. There is however the small matter of World War 2 to contend with, and the opening of the new branch at Deardengate is delayed until 1950. For our feature, our thanks go once again to our friends at Haslindgen Blogspot, for providing the following article from the Haslingden Observer from 1952, in which we learn of the most unusual fate of the former branch at Regent Street…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

A BANK from 1890 until 1950 … in 1952 the “beginnings of a Roman Catholic Church”.  That’s the history of the old Martins Bank; originally the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, at the junction of Blackburn road and Regent Street, Haslingden.  It is now being demolished by volunteer workers and its materials will be used to build a new Catholic Church at St. Joseph’s, Accrington. With its commodious residence for the Manager, built alongside, the Bank could hardly fail to attract the passer by, especially sixty years ago, writes “BRIAR”. 

Sep 1.jpg

Haslingden had then fewer buildings of note, and the Bank possessed outstanding architecture and stonework.  But efforts to dispose of it as it stood failed.  Now it is gradually disappearing … soon there will only be a bare patch of ground to remind us that here was once one of the busiest banks in Haslingden.

Sep 1.jpg

1952 Branch Demolished and stone used for new church - Haslingden Observer Bryan Yorke MBA.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank opened their first branch in Haslingden in 1881 at premises at the corner of Regent Street and John Street opposite the fire station, and in 1890 they opened the premises now being pulled down.  The Manager then was Abraham Hindle (brother of the late Mr Jonas Hindle) who had been manager at the other premises.  The Lancashire and Yorkshire Banking Company had been amalgamated with Martins Bank when, in 1936, the decision was made to move from Regent Street to the Town Centre Property at the corner of Higher Deardengate and Pleasant Street, occupied by a costumier, was purchased for that purpose.  Much of the work of construction had been done when the last war broke out and held up progress.  But the new Martins Bank opened in September, 1950,  under the management of Mr Jack Kay who had been  Manager at the former premises since 1936.  Up to 1914 there was no bank within the town centre.

Sep 1.jpg

We are unable to provide our usual “then and now” comparison, for as we have seen in the story above, Haslingden Branch was demolished and used to construct a new church. So here we look at the Branch at both ends of its life, under Lancashire & Yorkshire and Martins Bank.

Sep 1.jpg

1922: Image – W N Townson Bequest

,Sep 1.jpg

1922 Branch Exterior as L and Y Bank WN Townson

1950 Image -  http://haslingdens.blogspot.co.uk/

Sep 1.jpg

x

1911 to 1916 Mr T Cowpe joined the bank here MBM-Au47P24.jpg

1916 Mr J J Openshaw joined the bank here MBM-Wi62P52.jpg

1923 to 1942 Mr T B Hamilton Pro Manager from 1938 MBM-Su59P51.jpg

1928 to 1933 Mr I A M Bremner joined the bank here MBM-Au66P04.jpg

1930 to 1932 Mr A T Love Manager MBM-Sp50P13.jpg

1936 to 1954 Mr J Kay Manager  MBM-Sp54P54.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mt T Cowpe

Joined the Bank Here

1911 to 1916

Mr J J Openshaw

Joined the Bank Here

1916

Mt T B Hamilton

Pro Manager

1923 to 1937

Mr I A Bremner

Joined the Bank Here

1928 to 1933

Mr A T Love

Manager

1930 to 1932

Mr J Kay

Manager

1936 to 1937

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1937 to 1939 Mr W Warburton joined the bank here MBM-Au66P02.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr W Warburton

Joined the Bank Here

1937

 

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-331 Haslingden

Full Branch

Regent St and Blackburn Road Haslingden Rossendale Lancashire

741 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Rossendale 6260

Night safe Installed

Mr H Slater Manager

Title:

Type:

Address:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-331 SYKESIDE

Sub-Branch or Agency to 11-331 Haslingden

365 Manchester Road Haslingden Rossendale Lancashire

Not Known

Not Known

No Telephone

Counter Service only

Mr A T Love Manager (Haslingden, 1930 to 1932)

1881

 

1890

3 January 1928

September 1950

Opened by Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank at corner of

Regent St and John Street Haslingden

Moved to corner of Regent St and Blackburn Road

Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to 34 Deardengate

Gutinfo.jpgM