Sep 1.jpg

North Eastern Banking Company

Sep 1.jpg

The North Eastern Banking Company opens a Branch at Laygate, South Shields in 1894. The official records held by Barclays Group Archives show that the original premises taken over from the North East Banking Company are described in the title register as being “on the south-east side of Green Street, in the township of Westoe, address being 29 Green Street/91-93 Laygate Lane”.

Sep 1.jpgScan No-071

Sep 1.jpg

1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

Image © BT 1933

Sep 1.jpg

 

However, from the earliest telephone directory records available to us – 1922 – the Branch is listed under the ownership both of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins AND Martins Bank Limited as 44 Laygate, until 1938 when it changes to 29 GREEN STREET.  That’s how things stay until 1959 when the Bank moves its staff out of Green Street into a double-fronted shop premises further down the road to a strangely familiar address - 42-44 Laygate Lane!  This will be their temporary home from 1 Jan 1960 to 13 Feb 1962.  Green Street is knocked down and rebuilt, and then re-opened as 187 Laygate! It all seems very confusing indeed….

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

FEATURING STAFF WHO WORKED AT 44 LAYGATE UP TO THE 1938 MOVE TO 29 GREEN STREET

Sep 1.jpg

1913 to 1932 Mr C G Whittingham joined the bank here MBM-Sp57P52.jpg

1914 Mr Andrew Smith MBM-Sp47P33.jpg

1915 to 1915 Mr J P Cotton MBM-Wi50P22.jpg

1919 to 1935 Mr N H Marsh MBM-Sp60P44.jpg

1920 Mr H Rowland Child joined the bank here MBM-Su64P59.jpg

1922 to 1924 Mr J W Chapman MBM-Sp54P52.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr C G Whittingham

Joined the Bank Here

1913 to 1932

Mr Andrew Smith

On the Staff

1914

Mr J P Cotton

On the Staff

1915 to 1915

Mr N H Marsh

On the Staff

1919 to 1935

Mr H Rowland Child

Joined the Bank Here

1920

Mr J W Chapman

On the Staff

1922 to 1924

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1922 to 1931 Mr H Johnston Manager MBM-Au46P24.jpg

1930 to 1950 Mr H M Gibson Manager MBM-Wi50P22.jpg

1938 approx to 1940  Mr W O C Carrick MBM-Su61P50.jpg

4BW Logo

4BW Logo

4BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr H Johnston

Manager

1922 to 1930

Mr H M Gibson

Manager

1930 to 1950

Mr W O C Carrick

On the Staff

1938 to 1940

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-31-50 South Shields Laygate

Temporary Full Branch

42-44 Laygate Lane South Shields County Durham

339 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

South Shields 62095

Counter Service

Mr E H Jackson Manager

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-31-50 SOUTH SHIELDS HARTON

1894

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

1938

31 December 1959

13 February 1962

opened by the North Eastern Banking Company

The Bank of Liverpool Limited

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to 29 GREEN STREET

re-used as a temporary Branch by Martins Bank

Closed and Business moved back

 to 187 Laygate formerly 29 Green Street

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpgM