Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

This is the kind of nostalgic image we love – providing a small glimpse into the way the streets around the branches of Martins Bank looked at a particular point in time, and helping us to imagine how they have changed down the years.  South Shields Westoe is a sub branch to South Shields King Street, and opens in 1927.  During World War II it is closed in 1942, and is reopened in 1947.  As explained in our MARTINS AT WAR features, staffing the Bank’s Branches with so many away at war is difficult, and despite having an army of capable lady managers and clerks in charge, there are still not enough to keep every branch open.  

Sep 1.jpg

1940 s South Shields Westoe Exterior BGA Ref 30-3176.jpg 

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/3176

Sep 1.jpg

Looking at the opening hours we have on record for the 1960s, it looks as though the number of staff at Westoe may have comprised only two clerks or even one plus a guard, as the branch closes for a full hour at lunchtime.  This may well be to assist with the transport of work to be processed at the main branch.  Westoe is taken over by Barclays in 1969, but only lasts another year or two before they decide to close it in 1971.  In another remark that is definitely “of its time” Martins Bank Magazine reports that Mr J A Sutherland – the very first Clerk in Charge at Westoe, who can be seen in our staff gallery below - is “affectionately known as Darkie”…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1927 to 1932 Mr J A Sutherland Clerk in charge MBM-Sp61P53.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J A Sutherland

Clerk in Charge

1927 to 1932

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-15-51 South Shields  Westoe             

Sub to 11-15-51 South Shields

36 Dean Road Westoe South Shields County Durham

338 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1200 and 1300-1400

Saturday 0930-1100

South Shields 63136

Counter Service Only

Mr G B Varty Manager (South Shields)

9 August 1927

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

31 December 1971

Currently

Opened by Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-80-46 South Shields King Street

Closed

Sandwich Shop

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg